19. The Dangers of Security {part two}

Chapter Nineteen
The Dangers of Security
Part Two

Rain pattered against the ground, mud and grass mixed thoroughly into sludge. The sky was gray and foggy, the summer air humid and stuffy. Wind blew through the porch, whistling passed Skye and Jules's ears. They sat, cuddled up together, on the wooden swing hanging down from the roof of the porch. They had finished their late breakfast, freshened up, and shared many conversations with each other, sharing small things about themselves.

Silence crossed paths between them, each of them speaking in the significant action of merely being together. Neither spoke; only in their hearts did they communicate. For a few long moments, that was.

"They'll be back soon, you know," Skye murmured, breaking the silence. She was gazing out at the road, part of her mind somewhere far away in her own little world. Although everything seemed right with Jules, next to her, keeping her safe and happy, she started to fear the near future. She started to fear seeing her mother again, seeing Johnny again, seeing them together again. And she hated it. Leah didn't deserve to be feared by her own daughter; she had done nothing wrong.

But she didn't fear Leah. She feared the idea of Leah having Johnny's baby. She feared what would happen if that monster had his own child. She couldn't stand thinking about what he would do to it or how he would treat it. Everything he would do, she imagined, would all be wrong for the baby. Someone as heartless as Johnny wouldn't be able to take proper care of a child.

He certainly had never done a swell job handling Skye.

Jules's smooth voice spoke into her ears, warming her unbelievably cold body, "I'm aware."

"I don't want to believe it, Jules," she whispered. Her voice was shaky, wavering with apprehension.

Jules kissed her head and pulled her closer to his warm body. "I know, trouble," he mumbled. "I know."

Tears stung the back of her eyes, threatening to spill over. Every part of her fought to stay strong, for Jules, but in a matter of seconds, she was curling herself into him, tear droplets spilling down her face. "I'm so sorry, Jules!" she sobbed into his chest. "I ruined our perfect day."

He hushed her, rubbing her back and kissing her head repeatedly. "No, no, no," he was saying. "Skye, you haven't ruined anything. Today has been wonderful, yes, but nothing's ever perfect. And besides, you're hurt, overwhelmed. There's nothing wrong with sharing those feelings, trouble. Neither is there anything wrong with those feelings. You're wonderful, Skye. You don't ever have to apologize to me for being your beautiful, honest self. I love you, no matter what you do. And I'll keep loving you until I breathe my last breath."

Skye shivered underneath his warm body, chilled by words so meaningful she almost didn't believe they were spoken. Her heart thumped against her chest, a beat so slow it was almost painful. He confessed love to her, again. Those same words rang a melody in her mind, over and over again, so beautiful and peaceful that for a moment it was hard for her to breathe.

"Jules," she sobbed. "Please don't leave me? Stay with me, even after they get back. I don't want you to leave me yet, I need you."

He sighed deeply, his chest practically heaving. "I'm sorry, Skye," he whispered. "I have to leave. I wish I could stay, I really do. But I have to go for now. You know my father needs my help. I'll keep you on my mind, you know I will. And I'll always be on call for you, if you ever need me. I'm going to be back soon, don't worry, Skye. I'll never leave you like that."