20. Torment {part one}

Chapter Twenty

Torment

Part One

Skye, taken aback and full of fear, scrambled back on the bed. She clawed her way back, searching for something to grab in defense, but found nothing. Her heart was pounding, slamming painfully against her chest. Her breathing was choked, gasps replacing the natural inhaling and exhaling. Johnny was so close to her, his body causing the bed to creak and sink from his weight. Everything about the situation terrified her; she wanted a way out, a way out of the nightmare. He was trying to take advantage of her; she couldn't let him.

Her back pressed into the headboard and she sucked in a quick breath. "Johnny," she whispered, catching her breath. She tried to say something else, but he yanked on her ankles, pulling her across the bed so that she was underneath him.

He put his strong arms on either side of her, attempting to kiss her. But before he could, she twisted herself away and clawed for something to grab onto, something to help her get away, only to end up tugging the covers back with her feeble attempt. Whimpering, she spun back around, ready to lash out at him, but his strong hands gripped her wrists and pinned them beside her.

Crying out in discomfort, she squirmed and did the only thing her aching mind thought to do—she kicked him where it would count, as hard as she could.

He doubled over, grunting and sneering, and fell on her. Desperately, she shoved him away by the shoulders. Tears streamed down her cheeks as she rolled over, managing to get her aching and darkening body into a sitting position. She climbed off of the bed, stumbled in a sprint for her door, and yanked hard on the knob. It didn't budge at first and she cried out, glancing back at the bed to make sure Johnny was still there.

He was looking at her, eyes dark and unforgiving, and was no longer grunting in pain. "Skylar..." he warned, voice heavy and low.

She shook her head and spun the knob, opening the door in one quick movement. Before she could tell herself to do anything else, she was running out of her room and down the hall—heading for the stairs. Her breath caught in her throat as she dashed down the steps, taking them two at a time. In her vain attempt at an escape, she tripped over the last step and tumbled to the ground.

Her body ached upon impact but she knew she had no time to waste. She had to run. Her life was quite possibly on the line.

Standing up, she heard screams coming from behind her; she couldn't tell how close they were though. In a feeble attempt to escape Johnny's tormenting clutches, she scurried over to the front door, unlocked it and tried to open it. Her hands were sweaty though and slipped on the knob.

It was too late.

Strong arms wrapped around her waist and yanked her back, sending her abruptly into something hard. Johnny had caught up to her again. And he was angrier than before.

"I told you Skylar," he growled, chest heaving against her back. "You need to be punished. And for that little stunt you pulled back there, you're going to suffer much worse than before. Princess, I was considering being good to you, doing things right, but now—now you're going to wish you hadn't tried escaping. This is your fate." His voice was gruff, full of rage.

She whimpered in his strong grasp, fighting him with everything she had. "No, please," she begged. "Please don't do this."

He laughed, the sound dark and unsteady, and dragged her along with him, both arms wrapped around her waist. He carried them both up the stairs, into her room, and slammed the door shut, locking it. "You've left me no choice, Princess. I have to teach you a lesson. And if this is the only way to keep you silent, then let it be."