18. Lifeline {part one}

Chapter Eighteen

                                                                    Lifeline

                                                                  Part One 

"Skylar," Johnny's quiet voice came from behind Skye, waking her from her restless slumber. She lay curled on two chairs in the waiting room at the hospital, eyes closed, mind wandering through waves of dark thoughts, heartbeat pounding around her temples, sleep too far away from her worried spirit. "You should get some real rest, Skylar. Go home, Princess, Leah's going to be alright; doctor's words, not mine."

   Vaguely, she felt Johnny's large hand touching her shoulder, but she didn't slap it off, exhaustion having deprived her of much strength. "I can't leave, Johnny," she murmured, eyes still shut. "I have to be here when she wakes up; she's too important to leave."

   He gave her shoulder a gentle squeeze, assurance. "You need your rest, Skye; Leah will still be here when you come back. Only when you're back, she'll be awake."

   "I am getting rest," she whispered. The room was cold, chilling her more than she already was. Thoughts drifted through her mind, wandering in the darkness of what a life would be without Leah. She wanted to be there when her mother woke up; she wanted to stay. "Please don't try to get me to leave, Johnny. I'm staying here, waiting for her. I'll catch up on my sleep when I know for a fact that she's going to be okay."

   "Are you sure?" his voice echoed in her ears from above, a soft sound. Johnny's softer side was actually making itself known again, allowing Skye's relaxation process to begin a little. "Because the doctors said that it may be awhile before she wakes up; they gave her a sedative to stay under. She needs her rest too."

   "But what's wrong with her? What have they found out?" Skye's voice was caked with worry, following along with the rest of her body as she opened her eyes and sat up to look at Johnny. The room was bright in her eyes, causing her to blink a few times. Johnny looked just as bad as she figured he did: eyes heavy and rimmed with dark circles, hair in disarray, face a sheet of pale cream, lips chapped. He looked tired and utterly wasted.

   Rubbing a hand over his face, Johnny sighed heavily. "I'm not sure. They said that Leah should be there, so that she can give us the news. But whatever it is, they say she'll pull through."

   "So she's going to be okay?" She exhaled a breath she hadn't even noticed she'd been holding. "We're not in danger of losing her?"

   "No, Skye, I don't think we are," he admitted. "Now if you're not going to go home and sleep, you should get some sleep here. Go ahead, Skye, lie down and rest. I'll be right over there." He motioned to the lounge chair across from her and walked around her chairs to the other.

   Skye, taking long, deep breaths, settled back in the chairs, letting go of the tension she felt from the worry for her mother. "Maybe you're right," she mumbled, quietly. Her eyelids went heavy, closing as she slid down in her chair, lying down to rest.

   "Skylar?" a low voice called, stirred Skye from her heavy slumber. Warm breath washed over her face, the smell of breath mints and medicine full in it. For a moment, Skye thought that the voice belonged to Johnny, but when she bolted upright slightly, on her elbows, gasping from fear, she came face-to-face with Leah's doctor.

   He backed away a little, surprised. "Miss, are you alright?" he whispered, quiet enough so that his voice didn't carry too far. He examined Skye, his muddy eyes staring back at Skye's with worry.