2. Harsh Reality {part two}

Chapter Two

Harsh Reality

Part Two

Skye walked through the door to Omar's, the bell above chiming to signal another customer. She sighed as the fresh smell of coffee and cool air-conditioning enveloped her. A tall girl with long red hair smiled as she looked up and spotted Skye standing in the doorway. "Hello, how are you today, Miss?" She said.

Skye faintly put on a fake smile and whispered a quick hello and good. Her eyes glazed over the large coffee shop, taking in the fact that Bryan wasn't there yet. He always seemed to be late for their dates. She started walking to the back of the coffee shop, the part of the shop that was on a raised black and white checkered platform. The walls were a warm red and the floor was marble. In the back there were restrooms in the cut off corner. The shop was more than any typical coffee shop.

She dropped herself into a chair at a table with two seats. For the most part, all of the tables and booths were small. A soft hum of classical music was playing over the speakers and, in some matter, it calmed her. She loved going to Omar's, it always calmed her nerves, whatever the problems would be in her life. With her love for coffee she had even more motivation to hang out at Omar's. She propped her elbows on the table and sighed, dropping her chin on top of her hands.

There was a scuff of footsteps and a familiar voice chimed into her ears, "Can I get you something, Miss?" The voice startled her in a way that it wasn't only familiar but it was beautiful and harmonic. She couldn't place it until the boy stepped around to the side of the table and she tipped her gaze up at him. Her mouth threatened to drop but she kept it in check, swallowing her own words. Her eyes were lost in the boys' eyes and every word she thought about disappeared when she tried to speak. It was none other than Jules, the boy she knew she had to avoid.

"Stool girl?" Jules asked in surprise, his face lighting up at the sight of her. "Wow. Small town, huh?"

She didn't want to speak to him, she knew that she shouldn't break her promise already, but she couldn't be rude either. "What are you doing here?" She asked loudly.

"Whoa, did I say something wrong?" He chuckled as if she had said something funny.

She frowned at him and bit her lip. I shouldn't be talking to him, I shouldn't be talking to him.

She scolded herself, labeling herself guilty about not following with her promise. "Isn't there something against being too friendly with the costumers in the employee handbook?" She raised an eyebrow, trying to challenge him. She knew that what she said didn't make the most sense, but it would have to do.

He laughed at her and shook his head slowly. "Are you saying that I was being too friendly? Maybe you're thinking about last night than. I was hoping that you would remember last night." He winked and planted his hands on the table, causing her to flinch back.

She swallowed down the lump in her throat and all of the sudden her heart started drumming against her chest. She was nervous about him being close to her. If he looked at her close enough, there would be the possibility that he could notice her swollen cheek. "I wasn't thinking about last night." She hissed, crossing her arms.