9. Panicked {part one}

Chapter Nine
Panicked
Part One

Skye paced back and forth in her bedroom, waiting for the moment that Jules would walk in and greet her. She was scared—nervous about seeing him. She wasn't entirely believing all that Victor had said, but she wasn't about to let it slip away either. She was angry with him and when Rachel called to ask where Victor was, she answered grudgingly that he wasn't feeling well. If anyone wasn't feeling well it would be Skye. Her stomach was the car of a roller coaster, zipping around and going through loops. She felt sick.

Downstairs, Leah was racing around and getting things packed for another business trip. She's going to be gone for a few days. Johnny still wasn't back, which made Skye slightly at ease, but he would be back soon enough, and then she would have to face him again—all alone. She didn't want to even think about the things that he could do to her, for they would be all too wrong for her.

She heard a knock on her door and jumped out of her skin. She clasped her hands together and sucked in a deep breath. She knew who it was and she was dreading seeing him. She sat down on her bed and tried to calm herself down. "Come in," she croaked, taking another deep breath.

The knob turned and the door creaked open, Jules slowly stepping into view. He was carrying a small bunch of white roses and smiling, his face glowing. "Hey, trouble." He greeted her, holding out the roses in front of him.

She felt her chest go tight when she saw the roses and she wanted to cry. How could someone so sweet and perfect hold some big dark secret? She tried to shake the words Victor had said about her and Jules but they kept repeating themselves in her mind. Promise me that you won't fall in love with him. It never ends well for the either of you. She hated how Victor somehow knew so much about her, things that she was unsure of herself. What could he mean though? How does it not end well, and about whom was he talking about? She couldn't wrap her finger around the questions. "Hey." She whispered, feeling her heart go numb.

Jules gave her a look of sympathy and set the roses down on her dresser. He stared at her with careful eyes and pulled her into him. "What's wrong, trouble?" He asked quietly, his voice soft and beautiful.

She unclasped her hands and cuddled into him, pushing herself as close as she could to him. She wanted to stay like that forever—wrapped in his secure arms—and never leave him again. She didn't care what Victor said anymore, he would have to be wrong about Jules. Seeing Jules again changed everything; she no longer wanted to ask him about what Victor meant, she only wanted to cuddle up with him and rest, peacefully. Tears poured out of her eyes and soaked Jules' shirt but neither of them pulled away, they sat cuddled together, Jules' head on her shoulder and her head in his chest.

"You know that you can tell me anything, Skye. I won't be upset." He promised her in a calm voice. "Did something happen?"

Yeah, your stupid friend tried to get me away from you. Great friend he is. She stopped her tears and pushed herself carefully away so that she could see him. "I just missed you," she whispered, caressing his cheek. She was staring into his eyes, such beautiful and caring eyes, and smiled faintly.

He smiled too, but it was quickly replaced with an expression of regret. He shook his head. "I'm so sorry I left earlier, I—"

She pressed her finger to his lips and shook her head. "No, it's okay. You came back, that's all that matters." She brushed her hand through his hair and smiled up at him.