27. Awake {part one}

Chapter Twenty-Seven

Awake

Part Two

VICTOR'S HEART FELT ANCHORED DOWN.

From a strong, unrelenting pull in the back of his mind he was being torn in a dozen different directions. Part of him longed to abandon his seat in the hospital's waiting area so that he could go speak with Rachel and find out how she was feeling, and then offer the burdening truth of what he'd done, facing his troubles dead on. But the other part—the greater part—wanted nothing more than to run away from his problems and seek refuge in the solitary of comfort he so desperately desired.

Part of him wanted to bask himself in Skye's familiar, reassuring company. The only problem was . . . he knew she was in no condition to help him, and he felt sick to his stomach just imagining the kind of turmoil she'd be going through the moment she awoke from her medicine-induced slumber.

And suddenly, like a slap in the face, he felt guilt ridden for even thinking so much about himself when there were two girls in devastatingly poor shape lying in hospital beds, while their loved ones all ached to see them feeling well again—which happened to be out of the question at the moment.

Rachel had gained consciousness for good an hour ago, and was now resting in her room with her father's company, waiting for more information about Skye and what had happened while she was unconscious. And from her appearance the last time Victor had seen her, he could only guess she was living and breathing agony every time she tried to move.

She could use a little more company too, Victor finally concluded. And even though he was leery about how he would act around her now—after having kissed Skye and cheated on her—he hoped it wouldn't matter when he finally found the courage to tell her the truth. He knew she'd resent him, and he hated the idea of breaking her even more than she already was, but he didn't have much of a choice—she had to know the truth. And he was the only one who could tell her. Properly.

To top all of that off, nestled deep in a conflicting cocoon of overwhelming feelings towards Skye, he began to realize just how much everything had changed. Skye was no longer just another girl he'd once cared about or wanted to be with; she was much more than that. She was, and meant, everything to him now, and as much as he couldn't stand the thought of leaving her, he decided it would be best for everyone if he left her alone.

If he up and disappeared from her life, after revealing his mistakes to Rachel, he'd be giving her a chance at forgetting. Forgetting him, and all the pain he'd caused her.

As much as it hurt him to admit, he'd screwed up. He'd ruined his chances with Skye the moment he used her best friend, and toyed with both of their emotions. And it was about time he gave up trying to win her heart when someone else already had—someone who could give her the world and save her from the pain, without wanting anything in return but her love.

His head throbbed and his chest ached, his soul filled with remorse and apprehension. That was it. He had to let Skye go. He had to tell Rachel the truth, and vanish, never to be seen again. It was the only way to fix the things he'd broken, and make up for what he'd done.

And he was just about to get up from his slouched position on the uncomfortable, rickety seat, when Jules stepped out of the ER, hobbling on one leg. His stomach lurched at the sight of Jules's battered, stricken face, and the heaviness of exhaustion that splayed across his appearance. He was in terrible shape.