13. Lethal {part one}

Chapter Thirteen

                                                                        Lethal

                                                                      Part One 

"Forget it, Vic. There's nothing more we need to discuss." Jules groaned, turning away from Victor.

   Victor grabbed his arm quickly, the movement so quick it irritated Jules. "Where's your girlfriend?" He asked Jules, looking him straight in the eye. There was all of the sudden something dark in his deep eyes, something dangerous. "She's not with Rachel."

   Jules looked at him, really looked at him, narrowing his brows. "She's not my girlfriend, Vic." He said sternly. But behind his strong delivery there was something saddening about it. Something communicating that he didn't want that to be the case. He wanted there to be something more between them. He wanted the kisses to mean more on both ends. "But, what do you mean, Vic? They're swimming aren't they?" His tone was weary, remembering the way she hadn't seemed herself.

   "No. No they're not." There wasn't a bit of emotion in Victor's voice. He looked at his friend with a blank expression, sliding his gaze back over to Rachel a moment later.

   Jules whirled around, his brows furrowing in distress. He searched for Skye, but just as Victor had said, she was nowhere around. "Where did she go?" He croaked. Suddenly he looked very unnerved, as if he knew there was something wrong going on.

    "Don't know, man. But I think your best guess is to ask Rachel." Victor said dryly, sauntering forward.

    Jules hurried through the hot sand, the tiny grains moving over his sandaled feet. "Rachel," he said. He watched as she set the tanning lotion down and twirled around, fluttering her eyes tranquilly. She certainly didn't seem to think anything was wrong. She seemed to be enjoying the weather and calm beach.

    "Mm?" She murmured, looking up at him, squinting. As she blinked a few more times she smiled, noticing Victor coming from beside him.

    "Where did Skye go?" Jules asked urgently. He looked nervous. His hands trembled a bit and his eyes gave away a worried hint in them.

    "She went to get a drink," she said. "We had a little squabble and it seemed she wanted some clear air, to refresh her thoughts maybe." She stood up, brushing the sand off of her tan legs.

    "Where's the drinking fountain?" He asked, with more urgency keen in his voice.

    "Over by the restrooms," she flicked her index finger in the direction of the building. "Why do you ask? She's fine, I'm sure she's just clearing her mind."

     He frowned, squinting and spinning himself in the direction of the restrooms. "Something's just not right here," he mumbled, quiet enough so that Rachel and Victor wouldn't hear him. Clearing his throat, he started walking towards the building, a dark and unnerved feeling tugging him forward. He didn't stop moving, his pace quickened, he was clearly on a mission. He needed to know if she was okay or not. To see it for himself.

   He knew that she could have just wanted some space, she was famous for that. But there was something more inside of him that was telling him—no, screaming at him—that something was terribly wrong.

   "Jules, she's fine. Just give her some space." Victor called after him, walking into place behind him.

   Rachel scrambled over to Victor, snaking her arm around his and leaning into him. "Let him, Vic. There could be something wrong; she's not usually gone this long." She whispered in his ear, walking on her tip-toes so that she could reach up.