Chapter Thirty-Seven: And to Think

And to Think...

Acacia's POV

Jade paces back and forth around the room trying to find a way out by hitting the wall every once in a while. She woke up around an hour ago and has been at this ever since.

Aaron is sitting across from me with his head and arms resting on his knees. The pounding is driving me crazy and finally I yell for her to stop. "For fuck's sake Jade, there's no way out!" She stops and looks at me with a blank face while Aaron chuckles without lifting his head from his knees.

"Just let her keep doing her thing Acacia. She'll burn out eventually." Jade turns her focus on Aaron, her eyes seeming to look past his physical appearance.

"Aaron..." She takes two big steps until she's at his side before kneeling down to his level. "You okay?"

"Yeah I'm fine." Aaron mumbles, still hiding his face.

"Kid," Jade says sternly, moving closer to him. "Look at me." He waits several seconds before raising his head hesitantly. Jade's jaw clenches and my eyes widen. Dark splotches are slowly spreading throughout Aaron's bright blue eyes. The veins near his eyes were darkening and popping up through his paling skin.

"It's-it's just really bright..." He says, squinting his eyes as if the sun was in this very room. "Really bright i-in here." He raises a finger and moves it around in a circular fashion, motioning to the entire room. "The white isn't helping." Jade rests a hand on the back of Aaron's neck and grasps some of his darkening hair between her fingers. Her actions cause Aaron to take a deep breath in, like he hadn't been breathing correctly before.

"You aren't wearing enough black..." She scolds gently, pressing her forehead against the top of his head. "What were you thinking." Aaron shivers and lets out a small laugh.

"I'll make sure to remember for next time mom." He says sarcastically, gazing up at her, their eyes barely three inches away from each other. They both close their eyes and breathe in sync, which is too calming for the situation we are stuck in.

"The titanium in these walls... Your powers shouldn't be working." I casually bring up the subject. When I was first brought into this room, I was told that it was mutant proof. At first I didn't know what that meant, until one of the 'orderlies' shot me and it didn't reflect. The bullet only grazed my arm, but normally it wouldn't have even done that much damage.

"There's a difference between powers and curses Acacia." Jade states blatantly, moving her fingers in circular patterns between Aaron's shoulder blades while he breathes steadily.

"Curses aren't a thing." I fire back, purposefully contrasting what she had said. Her green eyes narrow in on me, holding a look that tells me she knows something I don't.

"Wanna bet." Just then, the door opens and the ginger redneck walks in. Aaron says he looks like Russel Crowe, but if I see him like that then it'll ruin every movie he's in for me.

He grabs Aaron by the arm and pulls him through the doorway. "Hey wait, wait!" Jade puts a hand on his shoulder in order to stop him but he shrugs her off. Her strength doesn't work within these four walls. "Where are you taking him!" Aaron looks back at us, and I can tell that he's struggling to keep his calm composure.

"I'll be okay Jade, okay?" He extends his arms towards her in effort to calm her down. "It'll be okay!"

Before Jade can do anything, the man pulls the weakened Aaron out of the room and locks the door. Jade stands in front of the door with another blank expression on her face. I'm shocked as well.

"HEY!" Jade uses all of her human strength and pounds on the door. "BRING HIM BACK!" Her fists do absolutely no good, but I'm not about to tell her that. "YOU CAN'T HAVE HIM!" She swings her arms carelessly at the door, her hair flying in the same way. "DON'T HURT HIM!"