Chapter Thirty-Four: Go Home Aaron

Go Home Aaron

Aaron's POV

My mom pulls up to the front of the school and Jade gets out. "Thanks Ms. Shield." She says with a smile before climbing out of the back.

"Anytime dear!" My mom calls after her, smiling in the direction Jade left. "Well," she sighs and rests a hand on my knee. "She sure seems lovely." I nod wearily, not sure where this conversation is going. "How did you two meet again?" I squint my eyes at her, knowing that she is playing her mind games. I never told her a first time, which she very well knows. Except I don't know what to tell her. I can't just tell my mom that I met Jade in prison. Better yet, it's a mutant prison. Yeah mom, forgot to mention, your little boy is a mutant. What a lovely conversation. I live for these conversations.

"Uh..."

"I mean it just seems like you really like that girl-"

"I do." I answer a bit too quickly and my mom turns her blue eyes on me. I blush and look down at my hands. Her hand moves up to gently squeeze my fingers and look up at my mom.

"There's nothing wrong with that Aaron." My heart sinks at this moment, knowing that Jade doesn't feel the same way.

"Eh..." I breath out, not knowing exactly how to put it. "Let's just say it's not going anywhere." My mom sits up straight with an understanding look on her face.

"I see. She's playing hard to get."

"More like she's not even playing."

"She could've fooled me." She raises an eyebrow. "It seemed like we were going to be planning another wedding pretty soon." I blush again and hide my face close to the window where I'm able to see Jade playing with Shade in the side yard. My shoulders slump and my mom rests her hand on the back of my neck.

"You can always move back with us." She proposes. I don't even turn down the thought, it's entirely reasonable. But Jade... "What kind of school is this anyway?" My eyes widen and I unbuckle my seatbelt.

"It's for special youngsters mom." I say quickly as I lean over to kiss her on the cheek. I struggle with opening the door, the worry of my mom noticing any of the kids still clouding my mind. "I'll call you later okay?" I jump out and close the door immediately, hoping my mom gets the idea that she should leave now.

"Okay honey, I love you!"

"Love you too..." I mutter as I put my hood up. Clouds overhead begin to turn grey and I rush inside with my bags. They hit the floor of the foyer and I am greeted by Scott and Logan.

"Hey momma's boy." Logan sneers as he crosses his buff arms.

"Hello Aaron." Scott greets me opposite of Logan, he even shakes my hand. "How was the wedding?"

"Uh it was good." I respond, making small talk. "Yeah. It was good." I clap my hands together so that they aren't just hanging awkwardly at my sides. Scott smiles awkwardly at me, waiting for something to add to the conversation. "Well... I'm gonna go unpack." I say, pointing my both my thumbs at the staircase to my left. Scott nods his head quickly.

"Right right. You should do that." I'm halfway up the stairs when I hear Logan turn to Scott.

"Couldn't have made that any less awkward now, could you?"

I open the door to my room with my elbow since my bags were in my arms and immediately throw them against the wall in frustration. I fall onto my bed and bury my face in the black white pillows. My fists press against my cheeks as I clench in jaw in desperation to force out tears.