Chapter Four: Aaron's Curse

Aaron's Curse

Aaron's POV

We get back to the cell, and I start to feel light headed. A stabbing pain comes from my side and I flinch. Oh no... not now... Why is this happening again? I get the familiar pain that I have felt before. Jade looks at me, and I try to conceal the pain.

Jade's POV

I look back at Aaron. His once bright blue eyes are darkening. I suddenly notice that what used to be blond hair covering his head was now almost completely dark except for the very front of his head. Huh, I say to myself, wonder how I missed that.

Aaron's POV

Sweat starts running down my face and I suddenly bend over holding my stomach. "Agh!" I'm now on the ground.

"Aaron?" Jade is instantly at my side, her green eyes full of confusion. "What's wrong?" I shake my head and manage to breathe out a few words.

"Black..." I gesture to Jade's tank. She looks down then back at me with a puzzled look. "Please... Jade." She rips off her tank top and looks at me for instructions.

"What now?"

"Give it..." She hands it to me but I can't hold anything. I can't remove my hands from holding my insides in me. Jade can see this so she rips the shirt in half and ties half of the cloth around my right wrist. It wasn't much but it worked. Within moments the pain vanishes and I can feel the light returning to me.

Jade's POV

Aaron stops sweating, and from the look on his face the pain is gone. I'm now staring into his bright baby blue eyes again and his hair has returned to it's almost entirely blond state. "All better?" I ask.

"Yes. Thank you."

"So you gonna tell me what that was all about?" He looks away but then glances at me, looking me up and down.

"You have no shirt..." He says almost innocently. I blush and cover my stomach, not wanting him to see the scars covering my torso.

"Yeah... you were hurt and I didn't think..." I bite my lip and shake away a smile. "So this as a one time thing." He smirks as he stares at me in just my sports bra. His eyes scatter over me, slowly filling with concern. I snap my fingers and he glances at my face.

"Can you help me up?" He attempts to get up, reaching out to me with his hand. I push his shoulders down.

"No... you are not getting up until you explain." He knows I'm not kidding so he takes a deep breath.

"Okay... but promise me... Promise me Jade... you won't leave me." I kneel down right next to him so that our eyes are leveled.

"Trust me kid, you have nothing to worry about." If only he knew about me, if he knew what I could do... I'm the one that should be worried.

Aaron's POV

I take a deep breath and begin to explain. "I have this... uhh... timeline let's call it, where if I go too long without wearing black I get this... uhh... pain." I look at Jade and she nods for me to keep going. In her eyes I see not the smallest bit of judgment. "I'm not supposed to wear light colors... which I am." My hands motion to the orange suit we are forced to wear.

"Why does this happen?"

"Well you call it a curse... and I guess that's what it is... did you ever learn in school how the color black absorbs light while all other colors rebound it?"

"No..." Jade lowers her gaze and looks away. I'm about to ask why but I refrain and continue.

"Well, that's kinda what happens with me. If I don't wear black then I can't absorb the light and... something inside me can... get out..."

"Like a demon?" Jade's eyes widen.

"More or less... some kind of shadow... yes..." I push my gaze downward, embarassed of myself. 'I have a demon inside of me that tries to get out at least three times a week'. It's ridiculous and sounds so fake...

"What would happen if that was to happen?" I hesitate to answer that, "Aaron..." Jade leans closer to me, allowing me to gaze into her perfectly jade eyes. So that's where she got her name from. Jade puts a hand on my shoulder, not reasurringly but more forcefully. Her voice is steady and strong. "What would happen?"

"I would die."