Chapter Thirty-One: Shields

Shields

Belle's POV

Jean and Scott are back, so the real lessons continue. All the kids are inside learning about the boring aspects of mutations and genetics, basically trying to figure out why they are the way that they are. I'm sitting under my tree, tracing over the tattoo on my wrist with my fingers. Dan calls this tree mine because I tend to fall out of it a lot, which isn't exactly fun. He's off downtown somewhere, I don't what he could possibly be doing besides getting another tattoo.

Jade and Aaron are sitting on the front steps of the mansion with a book between them. I think he's trying to teach her how to read, and it's not going well. Aaron starts to laugh but holds it in and shakes his head, pointing to a place in the book. Jade stands up and throws her hands up like she's giving up. She catches me laughing at her and sticks out her tongue, but then she freezes. Her ears perk up, a sign that she hears something no one else can. I stand up with a start, listening carefully. The sound of clanging metal comes from the front gate and I slowly walk out from behind my tree to see what's going on. A guy in a dirty army jacket climbs down the gate and turns around, walking straight up the driveway. His dirty blond hair is pulled back into a short pony tail and he looks like he hasn't shaved in a few weeks. Aaron's eyes widen and he falters back, bumping into Jade, who eyes the man as well. The man walks uneasily all the way up to the steps and stops, putting his hands in his coat pockets. "A-Aaron?" Jade looks over to me and slowly tilts her head towards the man, gesturing for me to come over. Aaron takes a step forward, unsure of what is going on.

"Jason?" His lips form into a smile, but just as he's about to say something else, the man pulls out a gun from his pocket and fires it. Instinctively, Aaron pulls Jade behind him and holds out his hand, forming a protective shield around the both of them. As soon as it's down, Jade rushes the man, pinning him to the ground and holding a knife to his throat.

"One reason... One reason why I shouldn't-"

"Jade!" Aaron runs down the steps and lifts her off of the man. Her face drops and she rolls her eyes, her arms falling limply as Aaron carries her back to the steps. Once he puts her down, he points at her and mockingly tells her to stay. He runs back over and she takes a seat on the steps, resting her chin on her hand, drawing pictures in the dirt. I walk around Aaron and the other dude slowly, making my way to the steps. Jade stands up and glares at me.

"Belle! I told you to sneek up on him and grab him and-"

"Your neck spazzed out! That's what happened." I stand behind Aaron as he helps the guy to his feet. "Besides, I didn't know he had a gun!" Aaron takes a step back from the guy.

"Why the hell did you shoot me!" He sounds hurt. The guy shrugs.

"I just wanted to see if you were... ya know..." Jade takes two steps forward so that she is in his face.

"A what? Huh?" She pushes him backwards, and even though he is at least a six inches taller and more built, he flinches. "A freak?"

"Jade-" Aaron tries to get her attention but she ignores him.

"Sorry if I think it's wrong for some stranger to just walk up and shoot you!"

"Jade-"

"I mean, no manners, nothing!" She grabs him by the collar of his jacket.

"This one is fiesty." The guy smirks and stares at Jade.

"Can I kill him." She asks completely serious. I snicker and cover my mouth. Aaron looks at me with a 'you're not helping' look.

"No Jade. You can't." He says sternly. She turns her head quickly, surprised. Her hands are still on his coat collar, almost reaching at his neck.

"At least let me give him a black eye." She starts listing things she could do to him, each time making the act worse. "Or take away his eyesight."