Chapter Fifty-Nine: Unsure Insanity

Unsure Insanity                                                                                                      Art by agaveflower

Jade's POV

I pace back and forth across the roof of the apartment complex I designated as the meet up spot. The fastest way to spread news around here is by word of mouth, specifically the mouth of the fastest douche bag in the city: Pietro. I told him I wanted to meet with his father, I didn't say what for, but I know Magneto assumes I plan on joining his movement.

I remember when he came to me, months ago, with a proposition: Join him. He said I would get to kill people, anyone I want. Now, he's the only person I want to kill.

There's no point in bringing my swords, I'm not making that mistake again. I'm strong enough without them, and Magneto just uses them against me.

Just like he used Aaron.

The very thought of Magneto planning, plotting, to kill that boy just to get to me makes my eyes burn. They burn so much now. They glow more often than not.

Aaron was kind. He was so patient, especially with me. He could talk me down from any ledge and keep me from hurting others, and myself. Aaron was gentle. He befriended Belle when she was still bitter and battered. He got Dan to open up and step up to be the guy Belle can rely on.

He saved me, from the moment I watched him step out of that government vehicle to the day he died. The day he was killed.

The burning in my eyes travels down my throat and into my chest, filling my lungs as I scream into the night, "Magneto!"

"I can't say I was surprised when my fool of a son delivered your message." He descends from the sky, his red cloak bellowing in the air surrounding him. My heart skips a beat the moment his boots touch the ground. He's within strangling range. "I am, however, pleased with your decision."

"Not so fast." I force myself to take a deep breath and slow things down. I want him to admit what he did: I want a confession. "There's something I need from you." 

His smile nearly vanishes, but, like every good salesman, he keeps his composure. "And what might that be."

"An explanation." I cross my arms and dig my nails into the skin covering my biceps. "Why did you have Aaron killed?"

Magneto lets out a long sigh and starts to circle me, "I apologize for that. He was a lovely boy. Very powerful, very strong hearted. But force fields do not start revolutions. Aaron Shield's death was the fire I needed to make you malleable."

"You told me that if I came with you, you would leave him alone." The pieces start to come together, and I realize something: that was never enough. Magneto needed more than me, he needed my anger. "Was he ever safe?"

Magneto halts in front of me, smiling sadly underneath his helmet. "His fate was sealed the day he met you."

Punching him in the face wasn't really part of the plan, but I can't control it. His head flies back and rattles around in that stupid helmet, but he wipes his nose and laughs. "I suppose I deserve that. So," he sticks out his hand, "do we have a deal?"

I stare at that hand, thinking of all the ways I could break it. I could rip it off and slap him with it, and then proceed to stick it up his a-

"Jade!" Belle drops to the ground from a cloud of blue smoke, staff in hand. Her eyes widen when she sees Magneto's outstretched hand... And mine gravitating towards it. "Don't!"