Chapter Twenty-Four: Identities

Identities

Jade's POV

I'm sitting on my bed when Logan walks through the door. I say hi but he immediately throws me over his shoulder and carries me down the stairs. "Logan? What the Hell!" Loga pulls me into the Professor's room and sets me down. "I don't want to be here." He leans against the doorframe.

"I know Jade but we need to talk to you." Aaron, Belle, Storm, and Daniel walk into the room.

"Is Xavier not joining us?" Logan shakes his head.

"Charles admits that he won't be able to help us on this one." Aaron sits on the arm rest of my chair.

"Jade, why didn't you tell me what happened to your dad?" I close my eyes, knowing very well that somehow Aaron found out.

"Because it's not exactly a part of my life I like to relive."

"Well if that's your excuse then I pretty much know nothing about you and probably never will." I'm genuinely hurt by this.

"Aaron, you know I'm always truthful with you... More than I am with anyone in fact."

"What Aaron is trying to say Jade," Storm steps forward, "is that we don't know much about you that is factual."

"But-"

"Such as your full name." I glance at Aaron, realizing that I don't know his full name either.

"What's yours?" He chews on the inside of his cheek, a habit he has when he's nervous or embarassed.

"Aaron Mason Shield." I smile.

"That's just adorable." He starts to blush.

"Yeah well don't laugh at me! For all I know yours could be just as ridiculous!" I pause and try to remember. "Jade, what's yours?" He's hoping to dig up a dirty little secret but I can't help him on that.

"I-I don't know..."

Professor X's POV

Storm calls me into my office, but I don't know how she expects me to help. "Yes?" I roll into the room.

"We have a problem." I look at Jade. She's sitting next to Aaron, her eyes moving around, trying to find answers. "Jade doesn't know who she is."

"And by that she means her name... she knows who she is..." Daniel speaks up but shrinks down when we all look at him. "You all knew that anyways... I'm shutting up now."

"I would help, but I don't believe that Jade wishes it." She looks at me.

"I... I'm sorry I freaked out last time..." She stares at her hands and twiddles her thumbs, "I just have trust issues..."

"How about this... I will tap into your memory but instead of me being the only one able to see, Logan, Storm, and Aaron will be able to as well." She glances up at Aaron and he nods his head, giving her a small supportive smile. Her tense shoulders relax and she gives me permission. I tell everyone to close their eyes. As soon as they do, I work my way into Jade's head and force her to have a flashback.

~Flashback~

Two figures are standing in an alley. One boy, around fifteen, and a little girl around five. "Wade, I'm hungry." The little girl whines.

"I know Jade... I know..." He pulls the girl closer to him and wraps his arms around her.

"Where's mommy?" He hushes her.

"She's... she's somewhere." After some time the girl finally falls asleep, but her shivering causes the boy to worry. He looks up and is startled. Another figure staggers towards them. It's a woman with long grey hair and fading light eyes.