Chapter Forty-Seven: Try To Understand

Aaron's POV

The diner isn't too crowded in the afternoon, luckily. I sat down at a booth in the back, making sure my back is to the entrance. A huge part of me hopes that the girl won't show up. I know it's terrible, but I also know it isn't fair to lead her on. I'm just not interested in a girl who isn't Jade.

I feel a gentle tap on my shoulder. "Aaron?" I look up to see a smiling face. She's very pretty, of course, with her long blonde hair and blue eyes. She even has a cute little dimple in her left cheek. "Hi." She scoots into her side of the booth and folds out her napkin in her lap. "It's so good to see you!" I smile courteously, not wanting to be rude.

"Yeah! It sure is." I don't remember her name, but I don't think I ever knew it in the first place if I'm being honest. Her smile fades as she keys into my lack of knowing.

"Kelly."

"Hmm?"

"My name is Kelly." She gives me a small smile that makes it seem as if I just broke her heart. "You looked like you didn't remember-"

"No, no! I'm sorry, I just spaced out." I wave my hands apologetically and straighten out my eating utensils. "I didn't forget you, Kelly." I make eye contact and give her what I've been told is my signature smile. "I promise." Her eyes don't crinkle when she smiles. Neither does her nose. I'm so used to the way Jade smiles that I look for her traits in everyone else. "So, tell me about yourself."

Excitement rolls across all of Kelly's features as she begins to talk about her interests and family. I catch a few of the first things, like she's an only child and her dad's a lawyer but her mom stays at home. She's really into business and plans to go out of state for college. She wants to adopt a child from a third world country at some point. Kelly is a white picket fence, suburb living, financially stable woman; I just don't find it appealing.

Kelly doesn't have extreme trust or anger issues. She's a cat person, not the kind of person to adopt a wolf. Kelly plays tennis on the weekends; she doesn't have the ability to knock out a full grown man with a single punch, no does she ever have the desire. She's too normal.

Jade has ruined normal girls for me.

"And for you, sir?" I blink rapidly and gaze up at the waitress. Kelly is watching me eagerly, thinking I was too consumed the conversation to notice the waitress.

"I'll have a burger, please."

"And to drink?"

"Could you please mix all of the sodas together? I know it's an odd request..." The waitress just nods her head and smiles, gathering the menus and telling us she'll be back with our orders soon.

"Do you really drink that?" Kelly wrinkles her nose at the idea of my preferred beverage.

"Yeah, I do." I tear off a corner of the napkin and roll it around in my fingers. Jade likes the drink.

"Your turn." Kelly rests her chin on her folded hands expectantly, waiting for me to share my life story.

"Where do I start." I flatten out the paper placemat. I know I can't tell Kelly the whole truth, but some things I'm able to share. "My dad fought over seas, so did my brother. Unfortunately my dad didn't make it back."

"You went to Hamilton High School, didn't you?" I pause at the sudden accusation, but she's correct. "I knew I recognized you." Geez. Someone who knew me in high school. This isn't awkward at all. Kelly's blue eyes look me up and down, traveling slower than they had before. "You've changed." I laugh uneasily and straighten the fork sitting in front of me.

"I haven't changed that much." There's a clatter across the diner as one of the waitresses falters back, almost dropping the tray of food she's holding on one hand. I wave my fingers subtly, cradling her back with a force field, and allowing her to stay standing. She straightens up and the whole diner applauds her, myself included. "Really." Kelly looks back at me, her grin of relief still plastered on her lips.

"Really?" She leans forward, smirking playfully. "Aaron, you were a manwhore." I shrug my shoulders modestly, that's the second time in two days I've been referred to as a manwhore. "I don't think I was ever honored with your presence in that way." I laugh, I admit, rather confidently.

"Oh, you weren't." My gaze meets hers as I try to restrain my inner fuckboy. "Trust me, you'd remember." Kelly's tongue grazes her front teeth, raising the tension between us.

"There he is." Her eyes are shining daringly, her confidence capable of combating mine. Jade has never looked at me the way Kelly is now; she's never looked at me like I was a scrap of meat for the taking.

"In my defense, Kelly, I find that side of me only surfaces around people like you." Surprise surprise, she's offended. "And I don't mean to offend you, really, we've both changed since high school. You've turned into a really lovely girl, but the truth is I'm just not looking for a relationship right now. I'm already in one." She seems to believe every word. Her shoulders relax and the anger in her eyes fades.

"The girl with green hair." She noticed the flinch of my eyes when she mentions Jade. "That's who you're talking about, isn't it?" I bite my lip and nod my head slowly. The very mentioning of Jade makes me want to smile. Kelly leans back in defeat. "She's very pretty, I'll give you that. A little off, but pretty." She nods her head towards the door, giving me permission to leave the date. I stand up and pull a twenty from my back pocket, laying it on the table with a smile and a thank you. I gather my jacket and step out of the booth, but Kelly interrupts my exit. She sits there patiently, turning a fork in circles on the table cloth. "You'll be leaving behind a lot of broken hearts, Aaron Shield." I leave her with a small smile on her face. "I just hope yours isn't one of them."

The Sword And The Shield (X-Men) (UNDER CONSTRUCTION) On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara