Chapter Twenty-Seven: Rescuing Rogue

Rescuing Rogue

Jade's POV

I lay in bed for the rest of the day. My stomach growls and I groan as I rise from the bed. It's around four in the morning and Aaron still isn't back. "So much for being right back dude." I grumble under my breath. The carpet itches my feet as I walk down to the kitchen, once there opening the fridge and swallowing a gallon of chocolate milk.

"Well I guess a glass of milk is out of the question..." I turn around to see Belle standing by the table in her pajamas. She's wearing pajama bottoms with angel wings scattering them and a Doctor Who shirt.

"Sorry." I wipe the milk mustache off my upper lip and pull out a liter of root beer. "This an okay supplement?" Belle smiles and nods her head, walking over to the cabinet and pulling out two glasses. We both sit down at the table and pour ourselves a glass.

"So why you up?" Belle says as she takes a sip.

"Couldn't sleep, you?"

"I usually wake up this early..." I widen my eyes and give her an 'are you crazy look'.

"How can you stay awake all day?" She laughs.

"Well it's not like I do much to exert my energy now do I?" I shrug my shoulders in agreement. "Besides... I get to see some things you can't see at any other time..."

"Like what?" She tosses her empty glass in the sink and belches loudly.

"Come on." She grabs me by the hand and pulls me out to the basketball court by the mansion. My feet are going numb from the wet grass and cold concrete.

"What are we-"

"Shhh!" She points up to the dark blue sky. It's highlighted purple so I can barely see tiny figures flittering across the sky. Screeches come from them as they fly uncontrollably.

"Bats?" Belle nods excitedly. Her blue curls fall over her freckled shoulders as she stares at the sky.

"Watch this." She brings two fingers to her lips and blows, but no sound comes out.

"Bel-" A sudden screeching sounds and grows louder. I look up and see a rather small black bat flutter towards us. I make an eeeek sound and duck but Belle just stands still with her hand out stretched. The bat lands on her arm and hangs upside down. It's wings fold into its sides as Belle strokes the fur on its back.

"Jade, meet Fidget." I slowly inch closer to her to observe the bat. It has a dark green shine to its black coat and has dark purple eyes.

"Are their eyes allowed to be purple?"

"Fidget is special. Most bats are a little bit blind, but she has perfect vision." Fidget's swings onto the top of Belles arm and climbs up to her shoulder and lays there.

"How even..." Belle laughs lightheartedly at my questioning tone. She strokes Fidget's head and starts to walk inside.

"Come on." I take a step forward and slip on something, falling to the cement. Belle turns in surprise with a worried look on her face but she shakes her head and snickers when she sees me sprawled out on the ground. "Careful Jade. Don't fall."

"Ha ha very," I push my hand onto the ground to support myself when I feel something wet. "Funny..." I bring my fingers to my nose and smell gasoline and oil. "Belle... Was anyone supposed to take the X-Jet out?" She furrows her eyebrows and searches the ground, noticing scorch marks. "No..." I jump onto my feet and Belle tosses Fidget into the air, who immediately starts fluttering away. We both sprint inside and head to the Professor's room. The light is on and Storm is sitting in the seat on the opposite side of the desk. The Professor looks up at us and smiles.