Chapter Thirty-Five: Come Home Aaron

Come Home Aaron

Jade's POV

I end the call with Ms. Shield and sprint into the house, leaving Shade alone in the yard. I run up the stairs, taking three at a time. "Dan!" His door is closed and his 'do not enter' sign is flipped to the side with the words, but I push it open anyway.

Dan is lounging by his open window, his neck craned upward so that all the smoke he breathes out goes outside. "Hey killer." Smoke leaks from his nostrils as he rests the cigarette on a dish by the window. "What can I do you for."

"Something happened to Aaron." Dan's eyes get wide and he sits forward, forgetting about his cigarette.

"What?" I let go of the door and travel farther into the room.

"His mom just called me saying that something had happened."

"Wait, why was he over there?" I bite my lip and shrug my shoulders.

"That's kind of a long story." Dan nods and grabs his cigarette, taking one last puff.

"So, you need a ride?" His brown eyes find me through the cloud of smoke and I nod quickly. "Alright then, I should probably change out of these skinny jeans."

I stand outside his door whiles he changes. My nerves are getting to me, and pretty soon there is a dent in the wall where I had been bouncing my foot against. Dan walks out in a black hoodie and grey sweatpants that are barely clinging to his skinny waist. I notice the pentagram on his sweatshirt.

"Seriously?" Dan looks down quickly before remembering what he is wearing.

"I've got good taste, I know." He claps his hands together and bends over slightly. "Girls can ride me in two different ways." I roll my eyes and he smirks. "You, miss, are doing the boring way." I grab ahold of his shoulders and jump onto his back. Dan grunts jokingly and I jerk my knee into his rib cage. "That was unnecessary." Dan groans and adjusts his shoulder blades. "The front door is open right?"

"Yeah."

"Good, otherwise this would be a very painful and short journey." His grip tightens on my thighs and he smiles up at me. "Hold on princess."

"Don't call me p-" He didn't give me any warning, and suddenly my head thrusts back in the air.

I squeeze my arms tighter around Dan's neck and he yelps due to the lack of oxygen getting to his brain. "Jeez Jade, loosen up a little." I open my eyes but everything is blurry. Every color is meshed into another color; it's like a really damp water color painting. "Just breathe." I close my eyes and take a few deep breaths, or at least I try to. So much air is hitting me in the face and not enough is actually going into my lungs.

I try again and this time I can see what Dan does. It's like we are at a normal walking pace and everyone else is moving like an iceberg. We pass one lady walking her dog, and by the time the poodle took a single step, Dan and I were already three blocks away.

"What color did you say the house was?" Dan yells at me, trying to hear himself over the sound of the wind hitting our faces.

"I didn't!"

"WHAT?" He screams louder, confused by the lack of understandable conversation.

"I SAID I-" I try and repeat what I had said, but there's no point. "Yellow." Dan stops running and we skid a few feet before coming to a complete stop. "Well then, why didn't you just say so." I jump off of his back and stare at the yellow suburban house in front of me.

"How do you know this is them?" Dan walks casually over to the mail box and pats it with one hand.

"I'm just that good babe." He winks at me. I look closely at the wooden mailbox and see the name 'Shield' inscribed on the flag.