The Daydreamer - Chp 1 [A Place In This World]

~I'm alone, on my own, and that's all I know/I'll be strong, I'll be wrong, oh but life goes on/Oh I'm just a girl trying to find a place in this world~

"Em I just can't....ugh." my Aunt Lilly groaned with exasperation as I sat at the table, she was nothing but frustrated. How did I know? Maybe it was her fingers curling in her hair tugging on her blonde roots or maybe it was her closed eyes, tightly blocking me from noting her teal eyes that made any male dizzy. Her brow furrowed as she leant back against the kitchen counter. There was a long pause as my Aunt sat breathing steadily her shoulders slowly relaxing as the tension fled, silently I watched her. "Em I just don't know what to do with you." She murmured squeezing the bridge of her nose still not meeting my gaze.  

"So you're passing me along?" I asked tonelessly watching her as my words hit her making her grimace with guilt.  

Sighing she crossed the kitchen and knelt before me taking my hands and holding them in hers "Em honey, I just think its best. You need a change of scenery. A....pick me up. Honey you just need something to bring you out of this cocoon." She explained her warm hands engulfing my tiny ones.  

I looked down at her "But I've done nothing wrong. I do my homework. I get top marks; I don't skip school or sneak out. I mean what have I done?" I asked trying to keep my voice neutral and shedding no light on the impact her words actually had.  

Her eyes began to pool "Sweetie nothing, I swear. You're beautiful and everything I've ever wanted of a daughter but you need to find and fight those demons." She said softly her warm fingers brushing the hair from my eyes and pulling it behind my ears.  

"How do I do that?" I asked slightly husky as my emotions began to swell.  

She smiled softly with nothing but love. No matter what she was always my second mother and I loved her to bits. She wiped underneath her eyes laughing at her tears and choking on her humorless laughter with a sob "I don't know. I want you to go travel, let it take you, let it show you." I frowned and she spluttered in a wavering laugh knowing that I saw right through the answer. She sniffled squeezing my hands "Okay, I want you to go stay with Mamma." She said stroking my hair like she use to when she use to read me those fairy tale stories "School is over honey, you've done your HSC with great marks and you're still clueless about what next, so I'm saying get out there and find out." She said. I knew she was even getting excited at the thought of the closest thing she's ever had as a daughter going to university or getting a career. "Em just let your hair down for once." She urged her eyes pleading.  

"My hair is down." I grumbled making her roll her eyes. But I knew she was happy there was some type of emotion coming for me, even if it was dry sarcasm "But what about you?" I grizzled; I didn't know if I was more anxious of her being left alone or her being perfectly fine, like everyone else, without me.  

Her bottom lip trembled as she smiled faintly "It's not forever. It may only be a day, a week, a month. Just until you can figure yourself out." She encouraged me "I'll keep in touch. I'm not kicking you out, I'm doing this for you sweetie." She said straightening up and planting a kiss on my forehead "Pack darling, the bus leaves tomorrow morning." And then she left out the front door for work.  

My head fell forward onto the cold table top.  

Mamma's? In Canberra? The city? I gulped, could I even do this? I doubted myself, I wasn't a city slicker; I could get lost, robbed or hurt. And what was there to do in Canberra? Especially when I am all by myself? I couldn't ask Mamma to take me out. I chuckled darkly at the thought of Mamma clubbing with me drinking cruisers. Yet that wasn't even me, like Aunt Lilly said; I didn't go out much nor let my hair hang down, I kept to myself, I was after all a quiet eighteen year old who just blended in as the quiet girl. I had one friend Sydney and she had taken off at the end of year ten to help her parents to document overseas in Africa. I didn't have any friends, I pulled away. My life was abnormal; I'd never had any real close friends, any boyfriends or dates. I just kept to myself letting the world pass me by waiting for the day when my dreams would begin and it was my time to shine and smile.

That night me and my Aunt Lilly curled up together on the couch watching a tonne of chick flicks. Chick flicks always got to me, sure I loved the other movie genres, but these movie genres showed me the possibilities. Like my collection of books gave me the ability to dream and pray for a happy future and Prince Charming.  

That night I crept upstairs to bed letting sleep overcome me. I was wondering what the point of this would be. I'd still keep to myself, letting my mind wander and praying of someone to walk in and help me see the light. It would just be in another place.

________________________
Click the external link for my Facebook page
So you guys know my drill; vote, comment and maybe give me a fan, yeah? Do it, I dare you ;) Xx
-------------------------------------
All Rights Reserved
Copyrighted Material ©
-------------------------------------