forty nine

what a feeling to be right here beside you now
holding you in arms
but you've got stars they're in your eyes
and ive got something missing tonight
—————

"Hey Sophia." Millie smiled, walking down the hallways of the high school as she squirted some hand sanitiser in her palm. "Want some?"

"No thanks." Sophia replied, she seemed gloomy and this easily caught Millie's attention so she decided to stop Sophia with her arm in the middle of the hall, looking into her eyes as the redhead avoided her gaze.

"Somethings up, tell me."

Sophie shrugged, going to continue walking but she was stopped again quickly with a firm arm.

"Is it Iris?" Millie asked, the name rolled off of her tongue like venom and she swore her right eye twitched at the mention of the girl.

"Yeah, but not to me. She's been talking about you." Sophia admitted, fiddling with her thumbs and she continued to avoid eye contact with Millie. "Well, and me."

Millie's skin felt hot with the immediate anger that hit her. She didn't care that Iris spoke about her - well- she did but what bothered her is that she still had the cheek to paint Sophia as the villain.

"Are you okay? Do you want me to do something? Tell someone? Because I swear -"

"Millie." Sophia laughed, holding her by her shoulders in a rubbish attempt to try and calm Millie down. She felt guilty, maybe she shouldn't of opened her mouth in the first place. They probably won't be talking about Sophia in fear that the news will brake but now it has, maybe they're finding a way to turn it around on the red head. "It's fine. I'm fine, I'm used to blocking things out like this, I just don't want them talking about you that's all.."

Millie nodded, the guilt still eating at her heart as she examined the orange freckles that spread across Sophia's nose. It warmed Millie's heart knowing that Sophia, out of all people, was thinking about her in this moment. It really showed what kind of person she really was and Millie thought he deserved the world. The bell went, signalling class is starting as Sophia's grasp fell from Millie's shoulders.

"I got to go, try not to worry about it. I shouldn't have said anything."

Millie shook her head, sending her a forced smile as she started to walk away.

"No, I'm glad you did. Have a nice day, Sophia."

"You too." She smiled as Millie watched her disappear round the corner.

———

"Im fuming, who the hell does she think she is? Oh I swear to god when I..."

"When you what?" Sadie interrupted Millie, sat on her bed as she watched the brunette pace her room with so much force that her small body was stamping loud enough for the whole house to hear.

"Oh my god, what if people start to bully Sophia over this? I'm such a shitty fucking person why did I have to get involved! It would've been better if I kept my fucking mouth shut."

"You're overthinking this." Sadie sighed, flipping through a psychology book while she sat on the edge of Millie's bed.