as a friend

My neck ached as I slowly woke up. It felt funny from having it craned on Kurts shoulder. I drowsily glanced over at the alarm clock on the nightstand, which read 6 A.M.

I looked up at Kurt. The blush that arised in my face surprised me. He looked like an angel sleeping. His tangly blonde hair framed his hollow face. His lips were curved into a tiny smile as he slept, soft snores slipping past his lips.

I hesitantly tapped his arm, half of me wanting to watch him sleep, and the other half wanting to talk to him. "Kurt?" I said softly. He muttered something unintelligible, before opening his eyes. He smirked goofily and rubbed his chin.

"Hi, did you sleep well?" I asked, raising an eyebrow. "Pretty much. I just got up for Frances a few times." He replied, shrugging. "Why didn't you wake me up to get her? That's what I'm for." I said, rolling my eyes.

"You were exhausted, and you've worked so hard already. That's also not what you're for." He argued, lowering his voice at the last part. I blushed harder.

"Well, we should probably go assess the damage in the other room." I said with a sigh, standing up. "Yeah, I'll bring Frances." He gently scooped the sleeping toddler up, and held her tightly. We then exited the hotel room, and walked down the hall.

Kurt retrieved a key for the room from his back pocket, and opened the door with it. The strong, unforgiving scent of vodka assaulted my senses. I looked down at the entryway to see a broken bottle of it. I wrinkled my nose and pushed the broken pieces of glass away with my foot.

There were some people passed out on the floor, some on the bed, and some even in the bathroom. The room had been overfilled. I spotted a mop of bright blonde hair with brown edging the scalp.

Her babydoll dress was wrinkly from sleeping with it on, her make up smudged onto the white bed sheet. Many bodies I couldn't identify were beside her. I clapped my hands together loudly. "Wakey wakey!" I yelled as loud as I could, walking around and shaking people awake.

People muttered obscenities, some fought, and some didn't react at all as I ordered them to leave the hotel room. Kurt held the door open, Frances in his free arm, who had woken up and fell into a crying fit.

Once everyone was out, except Krist, shelli, Courtney, Dave, and Rosie, I let out a sigh of relief and went over to Kurt. Her crying died down once he rocked her gently and comforted her.

Everyone looked like they were having the hangovers of their lives. "Fun night?" I asked, throwing an arm around Courtneys shoulders.

"Fuck no. I shouldn't have drank so much." She grumbled, rubbing her face. I chuckled and looked over at Kurt, who had a tiny smirk on his face. "You guys go, we'll clean all this up." Shelli muttered, looking around at the horrid mess.

"Gimme Fran." Courtney said, motioning Kurt over. He sighed and walked over to where she was sitting, and set their daughter in her lap.

We then left the room.

"Damn, I'm sure glad I stayed with you." Kurt mumbled, chuckling. I smiled, feeling my heart lift a bit. "Yeah, me too." I said, shaking my head. We walked back to our hotel room, and went inside.

I felt refreshed to be back in a clean, empty room, even if I was only in a dirty, cluttered one for minutes. I sat down on the bed, and patted next to me, motioning Kurt over.

He grinned and did as I asked.

"You, Courtney, and Frances are the only reasons I'm staying here. I thought about leaving last night after the proposal." I admitted, looking into his calming eyes. He frowned, and took my hand. "Don't let them ruin this for you, ok?" He growled, squeezing my hand harder. "I swear, I tried not to leave the stage while he proposed." He sounded full of rage.

"Thank you for being so caring.." I whispered, laying my hand on his knee. He looked like he was dying to say something, all of a sudden.

"Kurt? Are you ok?" I asked, raising an eyebrow. He was biting down onto his lip so hard, that the skin could've broken. "I need to tell you something, Jules." He muttered, looking down.

My heart rate quickened. "Kurt, what is it?" I asked, my voice slightly shaking.

"I like you, Jules. Not as a friend."

It felt surreal, him spelling this out for me. I found myself speechless.

Yes, maybe I had developed a somewhat crush on Kurt, but I didn't except him to have the same feelings at all. "Ar-are you serious?" I stuttered, letting out a deep breath.

"Very fucking serious." He said lowly, his eyes still glued to the bed cover. "Look at me." I ordered, placing my finger underneath his chin. He hesitantly diverted his eyes to mine.

"Do you really have feelings for me? I feel like I can't trust anyone, after what Dave did.." I said, feeling a pang of sadness. "I swear Julia, I haven't felt this way in a long time." He whispered, his eyes piercing into me.

I struggled to find words.

"C'mere." He said, pulling me closer to him. I was nearly in his lap. His hot breath on my face made me even more nervous, but more excited too. "I'll take care of you. I won't leave like Dave did." He said, brushing my hair out of my face.

"Promise?" "Pinkie swear." He joked, brightening the mood a bit. I giggled and shook his pinkie with mine. I then looked back up at his face. I felt like I was making a mistake as we inched closer together, our lips brushing lightly.

He intensified the tension, connecting his mouth with mine.

It wasn't anything like the innocent pecks we had given one another before, it was full of wonder and passion. I pulled away, and looked at him with a smile.

"So what now?"