snap out of it

December 1, 1991
Dave opened the door, grinning wide. I pecked him on the cheek, and went inside. I felt like dropping by to see the band. Dating the drummer has its perks. Kurt was lost in a magazine. "Hey." I smiled, sitting next to him.

"Hey Jules." I've been trying to keep an close eye on kurt. I'm worried about something in him, something I've been plagued with. Hell, I was on it at 19, my dad abandoned us, never looking back from it. Kurt can't perish from the earth on it, I wont allow it.

"Kurt, can we talk, in private?" He nodded, and went into the kitchen with me. I gripped the counter for support. "Kurt, are you on heroin?" He didn't answer, but anger glistened in his eyes. "Whats it to you?" He growled. "I was on that shit when I was 19. One day, I overdosed and went into a coma for a week. My father was on it, and he abandoned me when I was 12. Kurt, I can't let you implode your life, and the people who care about you." I whispered harshly.

He sighed, and hugged me tight. "I love you kurt, please take care of yourself." I said tearfully, taking his hands. He weakly smiled. "Don't worry I've got it under control." Those were the words I said to Alisha, the words I said to my mother, but I spiraled even further out of reach.

I smiled and walked away.

December 3rd, 1991
"Dave?" Julia said, sounding worried. We were in her car, driving home from a movie. "Yeah?" I said, my focus still on finding a radio station. "Kurts on heroin." I froze up, not really knowing what to say or do.

"I mean, he'll get better. He'll kick the habit." I managed, not wanting to face the true intensity of the situation. She sighed. "Dave, I was on heroin. I was 19. I nearly died." My heart sank.

"Kurt can't leave." She whispered. I stopped the car, and leaned across the console. I made her look at me. Tears threatened to spill from her eyes. I kissed her, wanting to help heal her.