bearer of bad news

"Mom, I'm gonna run out real quick to get Jules some pickles. She really wants some. Its weird. I don't really see her eat them alot." He said, scrunching his nose up.

I was sitting on the sofa, poking my head towards the hallway to see them. Ginny raised her eyebrows. "Oh, alright." She said, squinting.

He scooped up the keys, then left. "Are you feeling better? What made you vomit?" She asked, coming back into the living room. I shrugged.

"I really don't know. I just started to feel really nauseous for no reason." I said, picking at my nails. Ginny pursed her lips, then took my hand.

"Julia, are you sure you aren't pregnant?" The words overwhelmed me. They made me dizzy. "Wh-what? No. We use condoms." I said, furrowing my eyebrows. It can't be.

"Honey, we both know condoms can break." She whispered, a sad look on her face. I stared down.

"I'll take a test tomorrow." I croaked. She nodded and hugged me. I felt nauseous, and it wasn't from the "pregnancy." It can't be.

He pulled out. We used condoms. I'm sure I'm not.

That's that. I'm not pregnant.

The phone suddenly rang.

I stood up and walked over to it. "Hello?" "Hi, um.. Is Dave there?" A soft, high pitched voice spoke.

"Nah, but I can deliver the message?" I said, raising an eyebrow. "Ok, well um... Tell him that I hope he had a good Christmas, and that I hope we can see each other again soon." She paused. "And that I love him." She saif, a smile in her voice.

I took a second to remove the anger from my voice.

"Yeah, ill deliver the message."