an interference

November 26th, 1993
Jacksonville, Florida.
"Ow!" I squealed as I dipped a toe in the blue pool water. It was freezing underneath the bright Florida sun. "Quit being a baby." I heard krist yell at me from his lawn chair.

"But it's cold!" I shouted back, frowning. He set his magazine down, stood up, advancing towards me. "No!" I yelled, laughing. He picked me up. "One, two," he counted, bouncing me. I was laughing hysterically and trying to fight back at the same time.

"Three!" He then threw me in. The cold water shocked me. I rose up from the bottom of the hotel pool, catching my breath. I wish I could push him in, but he's too tall. "You jerk!" I said loudly. He laughed, kneeling down.

He held out his hands to help me out of the pool. I smirked, taking the oppurtunity right in front of me. I pulled him in. He gasped as he fell in.

I quickly climbed out before he could get me. Once he came back up from under the water, he glared at me. I stuck my tongue out at him.

He climbed out too. We both headed back to the shaded area we had settled in. Kurt and Courtney were there, Frances in Kurts lap.

Dave and Rosie were in the same lawn chair, Rosie on his lap. I looked away quickly, sitting down in front of Kurts chair. I reached into my bag and grabbed my book, taking out the receipt I was using as a bookmark.

i usually fall into my own little world when I read. The black ink printed on the pages always draws me in and keeps me, but not today. Not with Dave sitting right behind me.

I could hear him and Rosie chatting quietly. I could smell the scent of cigarettes that enchanted his clothes and body. My senses were hyper aware.

Trying to focus on my book was to no avail. I sighed, coming to the conclusion that it was no use to try and concentrate on any task with him around. I placed my make-shift bookmark back in, closed it, and dropped the book back into my pool bag.

"I'm going back to the hotel room." I announced, standing up with my bag. "I'll come too." Courtney said, joining me. I smiled softly and waved bye to everyone. "Are you ok?" Courtney asked as soon as we were back inside the hotel. I nodded and continued fanning my face.

I don't think she bought my answer, but she didn't push the subject.

We crammed into a full elevator, standing in the very back. It went to several different floors before stopping at ours.

We quickly exited the elevator, then made our way to the hotel room.

"I wish he wouldn't bring her on tour." Courtney grumbled, kicking her sandals off.

"Me too, court. Me too."

She plopped down onto the bed, and crossed her legs before looking up at me. "I really need to tell you something..." She said, squinting at me. "Spill." I sat on the bed across from her. She exhaled deeply.

"You can tell me anything." I assured, smiling at her.

"Kurt and i are getting a divorce."

I couldn't suppress the impolite gasp that escaped my mouth.

Alot of people think of them like a conjoined pair. They both protect one another relentlessly. They're like the king and queen of grunge. I don't think anyone saw them divorcing, considering Kurts past.

"Im so sorry." I whispered, looking at her with sympathy. She shook her head, looking down. "Whatever, we'll both be happier." I was glad that she had a positive outlook on the future. Well, at least as positive as a divorce can be. I gently pulled Courtney into my arms for a hug. She buried her face in my hair.

"I love you Julia. Thanks." She said, her voice muffled. "I love you too." I whispered, sighing. I rubbed circles in her back, trying to calm her down.

The door opened, I looked over her shoulder, my eyes meeting Kurts.

"What's wrong?" He said, looking at Courtney and I. She sighed, pulling away from my embrace. "We don't have to pretend anymore, Kurt. I told her." He looked at me with sad eyes.

I stood up from the bed, and took his hand. "Why didn't you just tell me?" I whispered. "Because I'm ashamed. What if Frances turns into me? What if she becomes depressed and angry? I can't let her down like my parents did to me! I said I'd take care of her, and look where I am now. Divorced."

I felt sympathy for him. Divorce is natural. It happens frequently, all over the world, but Kurt didn't seem to have grasp of that concept.

"This is ok, Kurt. Would you rather Frances grow up in a home with the two of you butting heads non-stop?" I asked him, motioning towards his now ex-wife.

He looked at the toes of his converse, shaking his head no.

"She will understand. I promise." I said with reassurance, wrapping my arms around his gaunt figure. It seems that he's growing thinner and thinner each day, and as each day passes, his eyes lose more and more light.

I gave him a quick peck on the cheek, and silently hoped that some day, he'd get better.