Chapter Thirty-Six

As I walked into the office Monday morning, a vase of red roses on my desk caught my attention. I set my purse on to the side before inhaling deeply, they were beautiful. I picked up the vase to move it to the other side of my desk and noticed a note underneath. Opening the card, it read-

Thank you, for everything

-A.

I smiled to myself and turned on my computer. The flowers were a sweet gesture and I hoped he was feeling better. It was borderline torture to leave him like that, but I knew I had no other choice, it was too much of a risk to stay and I hoped he understood. I forced myself to work through the day even though my mind was preoccupied with thoughts of the wedding. Only five more days until I'd be Isaac's wife and I was completely on edge. Alexander hasn't said one word about it, but I could tell he was beside himself with grief. He didn't want me to marry him, I'd just wish he would stop me. I've fantasied so many times that Alexander would drag me away, so we could live out our happily ever after together but, he'd never do that, no matter how badly I wanted him to. It was inevitable that someone was going to get hurt, I just didn't know who that somebody would be. It wasn't plausible to think that this would ever work, we were doomed before we even started. We knew the repercussions of our actions and I could never ask Alexander to choose me over his own son.

I set myself on autopilot for the rest of the day, organizing Sarah's client list, answering phone calls, and setting up meetings. It was 6:00 p.m. before I knew it and I was anxious to leave. I walked outside the high-rise building before heading towards Isaac's office. I knew he'd still be at work until late tonight, so I decided to bring him dinner. I stopped at one of the local pizza shops on the way and grabbed us a few slices of pizza before heading back down the street. He only worked a few blocks down, so the walk was brief, and I entered the brick building in no time.

I knocked on Isaac's office door once before turning the door handle. Isaac's appearance was frazzled, like he ran his fingers through his hair in frustration one too many times. I entered with cation, unable to read his demeanor. He was flipping through papers frantically and didn't notice my presences until I set the box of pizza on his desk.

"Hey babe," He says glancing up at me.

"Hey, everything alright?" I asked taking a seat in front of his desk.

He shook his head from side to side, letting out a deep breath. He was still rummaging through the mess that made up his desk before slapping his hands over his eyes.

"No, I've messed up so bad. My computer crashed, and I never got the chance to back up the files I've been working on for the past month for our biggest client. I have a meeting with them first thing tomorrow morning, I'm so fucked." He groaned returning to sort through his files.

"Anything I can do?" I offered. He looked like he was ready to explode so I rubbed his back soothingly.

"No, thank you Jess. I've really got to get back to work though, I don't have time for a distraction, I'm sorry."

"No worries, I'm just going to head home. I brought you some pizza if you're hungry." I stood from the seat and headed for the door.

"Shit Jessica, I'm sorry. I'm just so stressed out right now."

"It's okay, really. I'll talk to you later." I said before closing his door behind me. I was relieved to have some alone time as I made my way back to my car. Once I got home, I moaned in bliss as I unstrapped my heals and let them fall to the floor in the foyer. I walked barefoot through my apartment to chuck my purse and keys on the counter in the kitchen before heading towards the couch. I reclined on the sofa and closed my eyes as the stress of my life weighted down on me.