Chapter Thirty-Nine

The River Cafe was one of the most beautiful restaurants I've ever been to. It was located under the Brooklyn bridge, overlooking the East River. Maria had reserved the entire terrace room for dinner and we all piled inside. The room was large with a breathtaking view of the city behind it. Several tables line the room, covered in white table clothes, each set to perfection as we all took our respectable seats. I sat at the table with Isaac and his parents as Naomi sat at the table adjacent to mine. Marco, Samuel, and Diego filled in the seats beside her just as Andy walked through the room. 

The ambiance of the restaurant was romantic, clearly a perfect setting for tonight. The room filled with strangers as the waiters filled everyone's glasses with wine and set appetizers along the tables. My eyes secretly watched as Alexander made his way around the room, greeting each guest as they entered. He looked amazing tonight in his three piece black tux and I couldn't help but admire him. He always left me breathless. I noticed Andy made himself comfortable at the table farthest from Naomi, chatting along with one of Maria's cousins. I felt eyes bore into me at every angel, filling me with nerves. I wanted tonight to be over with, but then again I'd have to face the reality of tomorrow and I wasn't ready for that. 

"Jessica, I'd love for you to meet my grandmother, Valeria." Isaac said with his arm wrapped around her. She looked young beyond her years, clearly displeased by my presence. I had the sudden feeling that she was Maria's mother as her eyes critiqued me. 

"Nice to finally meet you." I said extending my hand to her. She shook it briefly before wiping her hand against the side of her dress. I stood, stunned as she turned to walk away. Maria laughed from her chair and I sent daggers in her direction. 

"I'm so sorry Jess, she didn't mean it. Shes just old, ya know?" Isaac said brushing it off. I cleared my throat and took my seat to avoid any more unwanted encounters. If only I could disappear. Soft music filled the room, mingling with the chatter among the guest as I slouched further in my seat. Everyone was finally seated enjoying the appetizers as they discussed Isaac and I. I glanced up into Alexanders eyes and I knew he could sense my discomfort. His smile didn't quite reach his eyes and I could tell he was just as burdened as I was being here tonight. 

I reached forward to grab an oyster off the platter before lathering it with lemon juice. I lifted the shell to my lips before tilting my head back to allow the slick muscle to slide down my throat. I placed the empty shell on my plate before reaching for another one. I glanced towards Naomi and noticed her staring at Marco longing. I knew all too well how she was feeling, I felt the same way every time I was in the same room as Alexander and it was maddening that I couldn't touch him right now. The waiters flowed around the room, refilling wine glasses, removing empty platters and filling them with fresh ones as the chatter continued.

"You look so beautiful tonight Jess." Isaac said grabbing my hand in his. He placed a gentle kiss against my wrist before releasing my hand so he could eat. I was wearing a pre-wedding dress, well that's was Maria called it anyways, it was a similar design to my actual wedding gown, just less formal. 

"Thank you," I replied reaching for my wine again. I needed an entire bottle of liquid courage if I was going to make it through tonight. 

The room began to quite down as servers cleared the table to bring out the entree's. My mouth watered as the waitress set a plate of lobster in front of me. The portion was small but the food was incredible, easily one of the best meals I've ever had and I greedily swallowed every bite. It was almost silent in the room as everyone filled their stomachs and I took the opportunity to steal another glance at Alexander. He swiped the last piece of steak through his sauce before bringing it to his lips. After he swallowed, he noticed me starting. Our eyes locked on to each other, saying things that was forbidden to say out loud as our tables were cleared for dessert. This was absolutely antagonizing.