46 | Serpents To The Rescue

"I so don't care dude, I get Fangs today—you can have him tomorrow" I argue with Sweet Pea. And Fangs groans.

"Hey! It's my turn, seriously! You're taking my best friend" Sweets argue. "Awww, going soft are we Sweets?" I retort.

Pea glares at me and I glare back and cross my arms and Sweet Pea does the same. "Guys, cut it out, seriously" Fangs hissed as the Serpents around us laughed. "It's about to begin"

"I win this one, Pea" I mouth to Sweet Pea and he makes mocking face.

"Now, just a reminder that this School Hall is a PTA-sponsored event. Oh! We have our first question" Alice Cooper says from the stage and I snort as Sweet Pea stands up.

"Yeah. No offence to the current administration, but it feels like no ones looking out for the students being bused in from the Southside. Will that change?" Sweet Pea says and Fangs clap Pea's back supportingly.

"Whatcha got to say about that one, huh Reggie?" I whisper with a smirk creeping up on my face. "Absolutely, Sweet Pea. It's our priority. No one should be marginalised or excluded here" Jughead answers.

"Jughead and I will be representing all students, North and Southside alike—""—Next question. Yes, Midge" Alice interrupts.

"My question is for Archie and Veronica. Rumours has it that your parents will soon be on opposite sides of the mayoral election. Work that negatively affect your work in relationship?" Midge asks I shoot daggers in the back of her head.

"Archie and I are here to the old maxim: but politics are never discussed at the dinner or the cafeteria table" Veronica says and everyone laughs. Except me. I don't find it funny.

"Keep your claws in, babe" Fangs whispers in my ear and kiss the side of my head. And I clench my jaw even more and my nails cuts into my palms.

•••

The morning after that, all Serpents meet up in the classroom again. "You promised us a war, then you're on stage, sucking up to the Northside?" Sweet Pea spits in rage.

"We need those votes. It's the only way we can affect the change. Whoever selected gets on the school board. That means we're inside, they can't silence us" Jughead says.

"You and the Northside princess?" Fangs says and I raise an eyebrow and look back at him. "Wait, is that why you guys are pissed? Betty's on our side" Jughead defends her and Fangs shrugs carelessly at me and I roll my eyes.

"Yeah, I've helped the Serpents in numerous occasions. I helped find the Pickens statue's head. I got Cheryl to testify in court so FP, your king, could get early parole—""—You did all that for your boyfriend, not the Serpents" Sweet Pea says. He kinda does have a point.....

"All right. Take it down, Sweet Pea" Jughead says. "What? It's only a matter of time before she bails on us, like her mother" Pea argues and I sigh and rest my head in my arms.

"Okay, so your objections are about my mom" Betty exclaims. "Her legacy. She's an enemy of the Serpent State. Taking shots at us in The Register blaming us for crimes we didn't commit. Running with the turncoat's daughter is a slap in the face, and for that reason alone, you're not getting the Serpent vote" pea finishes and looks at Betty who looks at me and I look up and send her an apologetic look.