40 | A Break

The final words coming out of Fangs mouth changed the argument. "I don't know, maybe we should take a break or something. Get some air and clear our heads"

I stopped breathing for a few seconds, I scan his face to see if he's actually serious about this. He is. All I did was offer help if he was in trouble, he told me about Penny Peabody. He told me that Jughead would take the fall, he was the one who brought the younger Serpents together on it. I'm a Serpent too, but honestly, should I be in on that voting thing too?

I sighed and looked down, tears weld up, but I kept them in. "If that is what you want" I quietly mumble.

"I'll just—I'll just get home, then" I say and grab my clothes from staying here and showing them into my bag. Fangs hadn't said a single thing. I think he was realising what was happening.

I grab my Serpent jacket and look back at Fangs, he had tears in his eyes, his body was frozen in place and he just looked at me all broken and distant.

I turn my gaze away from him and walk out of his trailer, Jughead race by and waves at me, I wave back and avoid him seeing my tear stained face and as I drive out of the Southside, I have to pull over.

I can't breathe and I can't see from all the tears. I step out of my car and lean against my car door, I take deep breaths and sob loudly along with trying to breathe properly.

Why couldn't he just open up? Why did he have to be so distant? Why did he pull away from me all the time? Why?

My phone rings and I—with shaky hands—pull my phone out of my pocket and wipe my eyes and take a deep breath before answering.

"Hello?"

"Maia, Hey—I was wondering if you want to have a sleepover? That is if you're not too busy with Fogarty" Kevin jokes. My heart scatters and more tears fall and I put my hand over my mouth to not sob again.

"I-I'm not—but I can't, I'm sorry" I stutter and cover a sob up with a cough.

"You sound weird? Are you getting sick?" Kevin asks concerned.

"Yeah, I think so" I Lie. That's a better excuse than what I would have said.

"Alright, well, then I'll see you on Wednesday on the stage. Don't be late!" Kevin reminds me and I squeeze my eyes shut

"Of course. Bye" I say and hang up. I sob in my hands and try to pull myself together. This is just not happening, I love Fangs more than anything in the world.

Why is this happening to us? We were so happy, before I got shot everything was great—it ruined everything.

Don't cry. Don't break. It's not over yet, Maia. I take a deep breath and exhale again, I wipe my eyes one last time and pull my emotionless face on. I get back in my car before driving towards Greendale.

I can't stay on the Southside, the Northside is not going to comfort me right now, Greendale always offered me the wild life, drugs, alcohol and boys. Just what I need.

———————————

"Well, well, well—if it isn't the one and only Queen Bee, Maia Anderson" A familiar voice says. I smirk and turn around to face Gabriel.

"Gabe" I acknowledge and see his face has healed from the Serpents little 'fight' with him. "Oh no—Who's getting their ass kicked?" Gabriel asks with a nervous look on his face.

"No one, can you get me something?" I ask with a fake smile. "Something—something or something?" Gabriel asks and raise an eyebrow.

"Something—something" I say and Gabriel smirks. "Always, you've come to the right man" He says and hold his hand out for me to take.