one.

one.
lilystem.

You always think you're prepared for the unexpected, when really, you know you're not at all.

I especially thought I was prepared for the morning patrol today, but on the contrary, I was in for more than I could handle.

Seeing a clanmate dead is one thing.
Seeing your own sister dead is another.

Her once angelic, white pelt was mottled with dirt and blood. Her once bright eyes were dull, wide open in fear. Her body was dangerously scathed with deep cuts scattered all over.

"Oh, Starclan!" Gasps were heard among the small patrol I was in after we stumbled upon Petalheart's limp body.

"It's Petalheart... she's dead." Scorchfur declared with fright after briefly examining her body.

I remainded quiet as the two other cats in the patrol tried to stop themselves from choking up.

I didn't shed a tear.
My eyes remained trained upon Petalheart's figure. Her beautiful, glowing figure.

"How could this happen!?" Dustedpath cried in shock, "She would never have take her own life or anything.. and no one from our clan would dare do this to her." His head drooped.

Suddenly, both of the toms' gazes struck me. "Lilystem..." Scorchfur trailed, taking a cautious step towards me. He was hesitant, I could tell.

But I didn't move. My stare lingered onto the dried blood that spread around Petalheart's body.

I began to feel my muzzle tremble.
My paws grew numb.

And my voice, screaming out into the emptiness of the valley.