sixteen.

sixteen.
lilystem.

The badger lashed out, leaping from it's bush and snarling straight in my face. The way it's muzzle poked out, the way it's eyes burned into mine, it was a frightening sight. In a second, my claws unsheathed to scratch it's nose and quickly take a few strides back.

"We gotta get Mouseberry out of here!" I exclaimed into the night, positioning myself into a crouch, ready to pounce.

I didn't even hear a reply from either of my two clanmates, as the badger began to charge towards me. My eyes widened, before tumbling to the right to avoid being in its path. The ravenous animal mustered all of its strength to try to strike me once again, and finally succeeded on the third try.

It's massive claw sent me flying into a tree a few tail-lengths away, causing my eye sight to grow blurry.

"Hey!" I heard Driftingsky yell, causing the black and white creature to turn its focus on him and Mouseberry. I groaned, pawing my head and standing onto my wobbly paws. Get up, get up, get up.

I shook my head quickly, snapping myself out of it. My sight picked up Driftingsky attempting to fight off the beast, but it was only a matter of time until he couldn't hold it off any longer. So, I began to run at the badger to help aid him.

A yell escaped my muzzle, as I prepared myself to leap onto the badger. My eyes must have been deceiving me as I caught sight of another cat entering the situation, watching as the feline jumped onto it's back. They clawed repeatedly, giving a lethal bite to it's neck. The badger thrashed around, but couldn't seem to shake the cat off.

Finally, the predator fell to the ground, scampering to its feet before dashing off. I sighed in relief, running over to Driftingsky and Mouseberry.

Mouseberry appeared to be knocked on the ground, not moving. Driftingsky stood beside her, placing his ear to her chest.

"What happened?" I asked him, worry flooding my tone.

Driftingsky met my gaze. "She just got knocked over by the badger. I think she blacked out or something." I could tell he was concerned by the way his voice trembled a bit.

My instincts told me that we weren't alone anymore, so I turned around and prepared to face the cat that saved us. The way he approached me appeared familiar, and his pelt was a dark grey.

"You wanna tell me what's going on?" Scorchfur looked down at me scornfully, as I began to think of how I was going to explain all of this.