ten.

ten.
lilystem.

I decided to talk to Sunstreak today. Petalheart and her had been friends, but not as close as she was to Cherrystorm. Perhaps I could get some information out of her.

She was lounging in the nursery as she usually did, the young tomkit sleeping beside her. I entered quietly.

Her sandy face met mine as soon as I walked in. She smiled.

"Oh, Lilystem!" she whisper-yelled, "How are you feeling, honey?" Her warm brown eyes beamed at me.

"I'm okay. Still thinking about Petalheart." I shrugged, answering honestly. There was no reason I should lie to a loyal and sweet cat like Sunstreak, especially since she was close with my sister.

"Oh dear. You must be aching." The sympathy laced into her voice sounded genuine, "You know, your sister would come in here often to see me while I was pregnant with Acornpaw."

My eyes shifted up to hers quickly, "Really?"

"Mhm. She would talk to me about how she wanted kits of her own someday. How she'd meet the perfect tomcat, the one that loved her for her, and not just for her looks. she was a dreamer, that one," sunstreak's smile loosened a bit, but didn't slip away entirely. "I bet she's looking down at us from starclan, listening to our conversation and smiling."

Lilystem glanced down the the black tomkit that was sound asleep. "I bet."

"Oh!" Sunstreak said suddenly. I thought she was about to give birth from her surprise noise.
"Have you formally met the foster kit?"

"Is that what everyone's calling him?" my catbrows raised.

She laughed softly. "Of course not. We named him. Well, 'we' as in with the help of Antstar, Barkwillow and Mouseberry. His name is Emberkit." Sunstreak introduced him to me, and I looked down at him. He slept so soundly, his tail twitching as he rested.

"He's adorable." I admitted.

The mother hummed, "Yes, he sure is. It's a shame he was left all alone. I wonder what happened."

"Me too."