twenty one.

twenty one.
lilystem.

After Antstar left the den, Scorchfur stood to leave as well. But before he exited, his pelt brushed against mine, a silent way of his own way to comfort me, I assumed.

Driftingsky and I looked at each other, both of our green eyes looking defeated. Then, we gave our attention to Mouseberry.

"I'm sorry L-Lilystem. I should have t-told you." Her figure shrunk in shame. I shook my head.

"No. Don't be sorry. That was what she wanted. You just respected her wishes." I said, attempting to calm the she-cat down, "She just never got a chance to announce her wonderful news."

The reality slowly set into my mind that she had died while carrying kits. If what Mouseberry said was really true, the kits wouldn't have had enough time to be born in just under two moons. I almost got sick at the thought.

"What about the father? He's gotta know about this. We just have to figure out who he is." Driftingsky mentioned, his voice one that I hadn't heard speak up in a while.

"Someone in the c-clan?" Mouseberry suggested, chestnut eyes wide.

"It's likely. But I also know how much Petalheart visited our mother in the twoleg nests. The possibilities are endless," I sighed, wanting to flop to the ground and never get up ever again.

Quiet was all that rang in my ears for some time, as the three of us took time to reflect.

"None of it makes sense." Driftingsky said, standing up to his paws in an angry fashion. "Petalheart gets pregnant by mystery father. She remains pregnant and Mouseberry, herself, and possibly the father are the only ones that know about it. Petalheart gets murdered by mystery cat during pregnancy. We have no suspects, no motives, and no leads on anything." He spoke sternly, summarizing the situation in his own way.

"A-Actually," Mouseberry spoke up, tail wrapping around her white paws, "I-I think there might be another cat who knew about her pregnancy."