forty nine.

forty nine.
lilystem

Antstar had left shortly after I told him the news. He said he wanted some time to himself. I felt the same.

Rest, unfortunately, was what I needed after he left. I had fallen asleep after he left. Nothing but nightmares and cursed images of Cherrystorm's deranged eyes filled my dreams, making it hard to properly sleep. Let's just say my rest did not last long.

I woke up, tired. I couldn't sleep without seeing horrible things in my dreams, and would rather be awake with reality. I stood up and left the empty medicine den.

The sun was bright, too bright, as it hit my light eyes. I was tired, but no longer wanted to rest. My leg still ached, but I didn't care. I sat with the outside air for a while, taking in the real world. I had solved the mystery, with the help of Driftingsky and Mouseberry of course, yet felt no closure.

"Hi Lilystem," Scorchfur greeted, his prescence walking into my view.

"Hi," I sighed, knowing I had much to say. "I have so much to thank you for." I admitted, my gaze drifting from his.

The tom stood tall in front of me, proud as always. "It's really not necessary. You needed me," He said, "You needed help," he quickly corrected. "I'm just glad you're okay."

"I'm trying to be."

Scorchfur had a slight grin on his face, perhaps of relief. "I'm truly sorry for the events that occurred, I'm just glad clarity was given to the clan about Cherrystorm."

"How is Dustedpath?" I remembered to ask.

"He's not great. As you would imagine. Featherpaw and I had to fill him in. I think he is still dealing with the facts." He revealed to me, sorrow lacing his tone. I did feel sorry for the tom, I truly cannot imagine how he feels. Well, I can somewhat.

I blinked. "I need to go." I said.

"I'm sure you have a lot to manage." Scorchfur nodded in understanding.

I nodded back in response. I started to move past him, but not before brushing against his pelt in solidarity. "Thank you, for everything," I whispered, continuing on.

-

Coco was still on the clan grounds when I approached him. It was nice, knowing he had stuck around for a while.

"Hey fuzzball, nice to see you up and at 'em," his enthusiastic aura enveloped me as he gave me a friendly bump.

"It's good to see you too, Coco," I admitted, and meant it.

"I just wanted to stick around and make sure you're okay. So are you?"

"Yeah, I'm hanging in there," I shrugged.

He beamed. "Your clan has been very welcoming. Treating me like I am some hero in this case." Coco was surprised to tell me.

I managed a stifled chuckle. "You are, you helped me in more ways than one. I don't know what I would have done if you hadn't found me."

"Anything for Snowball. Or I guess, Clovertuft as you guys call her," His ears perked. It was nice to see that the events that occurred hadn't stunted his enthusiastic energy.

As we chatted near the camp's entrance, I pondered Coco's future. "So, are you sticking around here for a while?" I wondered, maybe even hoped.

He shook his head, a laugh escaping his muzzle. "I fear I'm not cut out for this life, young one!" Coco's tail lashed along with his giggle, as he gazed towards the exit of the camp. "But I was glad to have contributed. I was glad to meet you, although the circumstances were more than unfortunate."

"I can't begin to thank you."

"Don't, kid." His head looked towards the ground. "You'll always have a friend in me. Come by, whenever. I'll be glad to see you." It was his way of saying goodbye without saying goodbye, I realized. He rested a paw on mine in comfort, showing me a friendly grin before bounding away from the camp.