six.

six.
lilystem.

The burial was everything but tolerable.
I could barely hear Antstar over Cherrystorm's sniffles. I felt bad for her, but her cries were ridiculously loud.

She'd cry and lean into Dustedpath, her mate. They both appeared to be deeply saddened.

Scorchfur sat next to me, paying close attention to what Antstar had to say. I didn't pay too much attention, and instead gazed through the group of cats that gathered around. I spotted Driftingsky at the opposite end, my mind flooded with what he had mentioned earlier.

Had someone actually murdered Petalheart?

The burial was finished after some time, and cats were given the option to stay with her for the night or to get some rest for tonight.

I decided to stay with her for a little bit.

Cherrystorm and Dustedpath stayed for a little while, then turned in.

Barkwillow left shortly after the couple, probably going to check in on Sunstreak.

More cats slowly began to return to their dens, leaving Scorchfur still standing next to me.

"Do you want to talk about it?" he turned towards me, the question breaking the temporary silence.

"No." I responded blankly, eyes staring forwards at Petalheart's burial site.

The charcoal-coated tom only nodded, "I understand. Just don't be afraid to come up to me if you need someone, okay?"

"Okay."

His pelt was darker at night, I observed, as he straightened out his posture. He licked my ear before trotting to the warrior's den.

I pawed my ear after the gesture.

Antstar and myself appeared to be the last ones left. I didn't really take the time to recognize that he was still here, and instead focused on Petalheart's grave. He was being a good leader for sticking with me.

Mouseberry had placed petals from a variety of flowers around the site, the colors ranging from red to purple.

Our mother had adored flowers. Sunstreak would tell stories to Petalheart and I about how she'd place petals into her nests and fur. I inferred that's why she named us after flowers.

But she wasn't with the clan anymore. She returned to her twoleg nest after we were made warriors. We accepted her decision.

As much as I loved my mother, Petalheart loved her the most. It was easy for me to move on after she left, but Petalheart was too dependent. She used to visit her at the twoleg nests all the time to cope.

I fell asleep at the burial site, dreaming of Petalheart being happy in Starclan.