•Forty eight•

The fear of loss

The fear of loss

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

"We're okay." Scott whispered as the pack fell through the doors and into the school hallway, relief settling into his stomach. His relief lasted seconds before he was thrashed to the floor, and in his place stood the nogitsune twins.

The dark Haley stood with a sly smirk, no longer having circles seeped into her skin but instead looked healthier than all of the kids surrounding her.

"You think you can beat me at my own game?" She roared, her eyes darkening as a sicking growl echoed through the halls. "But why would poor little Haley want to live, when Aiden is about to die?".

It was as if an anchor had settled into Haleys throat, her eyes widening as she began to shake her head. The others looked at her in panic as they watched a girl realise the real war she was losing.

"Haley, don't." Stiles pleaded but it was too late.

Haley sprinted for the exit, tears already burning her eyes and grief already licking at her bones. The rain smacked against the ground like bullets to soldiers, and Haley was almost blinded when she reached the staircase.

The water splashed against her skin in haste, washing away her vision without a second thought. But she could still see the crimson colour mixing into the puddles left collecting on the floor. She could still hear the panicked shouts about reaching the last silver arrow.

"NO!" Haley screamed as the last Oni began to corner Aiden underneath the bridge. Without thinking, and driven on instinct, she sprinted down the staircase separating them and ignored stiles' heavy footsteps stopping at the top.

Aidens face said it all, with the arrow in his hand, he knew he was about to die. He had barely recognised the grief stricken voice of Haley Stilinski as she ran toward them with sharp screams echoing through the night air.

Aiden had plunged the arrow into the Oni and suddenly a bright yellow light had blinded him. It shone so vividly it scolded his eyes and he was forced to close them in the last seconds of what was his relief.

Without warning, something powerful had pushed him backward and it felt as if the air had been sucked out of him, leaving him gasping for breath. A shrill shriek of horror woke his senses and his eyes snapped open, unleashing the worst pain he had ever felt.

Because in front of him stood a limp Haley Stilinski, with grief in her eyes. But she was not grieving for his life, as the Oni's blade had barely scathed him.

No. She was mourning for her own.

"Oh god Haley what have you done?" He whispered with a hoarse voice as her body fell into his, relief soaking into her loving gaze.

"I was a hero." She whispered with a pained smile, her weak hands gripping his shirt as she couldn't support her own weight. Aiden slowly lowered himself down so they were left sitting on the floor and only then did he see it. A blade, lodged in her abdomen and the blood pooling on to the floor.

"No. No, no!" He cried out, rocking her paling frame back and forth as reality sank in.

"Its okay." She whispered out in a broken sob, a small smile gently resting on her lips. Blood began to burn her skin as it bubbled in her throat, but she wouldn't let him see her in agony. Not when she had to save him from the darkness.

"I-I  was m-meant to save you, Haley G-Grace. I was m-meant to keep you safe." He mumbled with tears drooling down his cheeks as her blood began to cover his skin. Aiden tried to focus as he went to take away her pain, but for some reason no black veins sprouted up his wrist.

"God, why can't I do it. Why can't I take your pain away." He spat in frustration trying yet again. Haley smiled, her hand gently moving his cheek so he looked at her. And she made sure to look at him with the most love one could, because she did love him more than anything.

"It doesn't hurt, I pr-promise it doesn't h-hurt." She whispered, allowing the ex alpha to encase her tiny hand in his as she relished in his warmth. He kissed her hand gently, trying to calm his shaky breaths as he focused on her. The light she had brought into his life, and the light she would leave with him as she went.

They could hear Stiles yell for an ambulance, the manic shrieks as he dialled 911 and argued with the recipient. But the noises were thinning out in Haleys ears, drowning under the sharp ringing soaking in her eardrums.

Everyone was too afraid to break the conversation between Aiden and Haley, as if that was what was keeping the girl alive. But Aiden could see the struggle for breath and the colour in her eyes growing duller. It was as if only Aiden could see the love of his life dying right in his arms, a sick reminder the world will go on without her.

"I love you." Haley smiled softly, gasping for any morsel of oxygen her body would allow. Aiden shook his head, his grasp on her hand growing tighter.

"D-Don't say that Haley, t-tell me tomorrow." He wailed, swiping away the tears left drying on his cheeks.

"Aiden." Haley warned, knowing she only had minutes.

"I love you." She repeated, her vision growing blurrier by the second. Stiles came running down, his body falling to the floor beside his sister and a new wave of tears sprouting under his eyes.

"I love you too." Aiden whispered, the pain evident in his tone as he smiled at the still girl. Her eyelids began to flutter as her brother took her other hand and pleaded for her to stay awake.

"Do not close your eyes! Haley, you need to stay awake. The ambulance is coming, okay? Please Haley I don't know what i'll do without you!" Stiles' voice was breaking as he shook his sisters arm gently,  his tears dripping onto her body as if his life would revive hers. Haley was too weak to speak, her body growing limper with each intake of air.

"I love you too much for you to freaking die on me Haley, please just stay awake." He carried on, the words getting lodged in his throat. Aiden watched with baited breath, realising how soon the end had come.

As Haley dwindled on oblivion, awaiting for the white light to overcome her sense and for her to see her mother once again, she squeezed her brothers hand. And as the pain became unbearable, after saying what she needed to say, Haley finally gave in to the light.

•The End•