•twenty•

Falling into insanity.

Haley wanted to scream

She wanted to call for help and hope that they would be rescued before their captor could kill them both.
But she was too afraid. They both were.

"You don't understand do you? It's a riddle, know any riddles, stiles?" the man had retreated back to scratching the backwards five against the wall, the sound so unnerving Haley wanted to rip it out of his hands.

"A few." Stiles spoke cautiously, his tone cold and distant. The man slowly turned for Haley's response, snarling toward the brunette.

She nodded quickly, as her eyes were spiked once more with tears. This man was picturesque of her nightmares. He was the icon of her losing her mind.

"What gets bigger then more you take away?" He questioned, grinding his sharp teeth against one another.

"A hole." Stiles answered, trying to rid his sight of the horrifying mummified man.

"What gets wetter the more it dries?" He asked as he turned to the girl cowering in the corner, her hands grasped around her head.

"A towel." She replied, whispering the answer repeatedly to block out the undeniable noise.

"When is a door not a door?" He spat, waiting for stiles' realisation. That was the riddle in his dream.

"When it's ajar." The twin whispered, his jaw slacking as he noticed the connection between what had happened weeks before and what was happening at that very moment.
Their door was still ajar.

"Everyone has it, but no one can lose it. What is it?" The monster snapped his direction toward Haley's shrivelled body.

"I don't- I don't know." Haley retorted through her gasping breaths.

He stepped closer.

"Everyone has it, but no one can lose it. What is it, Haley?" His voice was filled with nothing but malice, each syllable filled with more venom than the last.

"I don't know. I don't know." Haley screamed as she buried her head into her knees, already feeling the breath on her neck.

"Everyone has it, but no one can lose it. What is it?" He yelled centimetres from her ear.

"She doesn't know! Leave her alone!" Stiles snapped, watching his sister breakdown in front of him.

The monster strode toward the male twin. his expression, albeit hidden, was filled with fury.

Without a second hesitation he grabbed the chains attached to his foot and began to drag him into the darkness.
Haley screamed as her brother clawed the ground being taken away from him.

"Wait!" Stiles yelled repeatedly as he was further and further from his sister. Both were crying.

"Stop it!" Haley shrieked, her hair woven within her fingertips as she tried to solve the riddle.