•nineteen•

The bandaged man

Haley screamed as her phone flashed on its torch

Haley screamed as her phone flashed on its torch. Her foot had been teething on the bear trap she so barely escaped a week or so prior.

The rooms stench solidified around her, her body too weak to escape. Another flashlight flooded on further down the room. Haley's hearing came flooding back at the same time as stiles sight. Both caught each other's gaze.

"Stiles?" Haley whimpered as she attempted to claw her way toward him. The pain too much to bare on her ankle.

"I've been screaming for ages Haley, how didn't you hear me!" Stiles gasped out in a struggled breath, he too ensnared within a similar trap.

"I couldn't hear. It was the air, it was too... too." She couldn't find the words, the fear sketched within her stomach forcing her to be mute in coherent words.

"Too dark." Stiles completed the sentence for her, his voice stained with harm. To two outsiders the sentence would have been too confusing to understand.

But that room... that room felt like the darkness could consume you. It overpowered each sense until you felt totally isolated, and when that darkness subsides you get a morsel of the sound. The touch. The sight.

That was the room.

The indescribable sound of chalk echoed through out the room. The twins glanced at each other, prettified of the source.

"Whose there!" They shouted through strangled breaths, there was no response.

"We can hear you." Stiles prodded further, his light flickering toward the sound. Haley sucked in a breath as she saw the figure. The same man she had sketched in a trance. The same monster to haunt her every night.

Stiles torch flashed quickly over to his silent sister, concern lacing his features. He could see her trembling from both pain and fear, her eyes so glassed he was petrified himself.

When his light flashed back to the wall, the man was gone- instead a backwards five was etched against the wall.

"Stiles." Haley whispered, a voice nearly mute.

"I'm scared."

The lights went out.

*****

"Stiles don't touch it. You'll lose your foot." Haley begged as she heard her brother cry in pain. The thick black air was covered with pained cries and tortured shrieks.

It was pulled straight out of Haley's dreams. An object fell from the darkness, alerting the twins as they shot their looks in its direction.

"Whose there?" Haley cried, her hair intertwined within her fingers.

"Who are you?" Stiles screamed, the twins both fuelling off of their fear. The figure emerged from the background, reciting Japanese. Haley furrowed her eyebrows, trying to decipher what he was saying.

"I don't- I don't understand." Stiles cried, slamming his hand against the floor. The sound echoed through the room and amplified the feelings of every individual.

"Stop it!" Haley shrieked, tears stroking her cheeks with each sharp inhale of breath. The room fell silent.

Haley could almost taste the stench of blood that clung around the metal grips implemented within her leg.

"The question you should be asking, is not who are you, but who are we?" The low hum of the mummified man boomed through the room so loud it vibrated the shackles attached to the bear trap.

The twins froze, their eyes wide as they heard what he had said.
How could that be true?
How could they all be connected?
And how could they get out?

*****

Haley had huddled herself into a ball to conserve energy, her body was deadly still- unable to make any small movement.

"It's getting colder, Haley. Did you notice that we've stopped shivering? Do either of you know why that's a bad sign?" The masked man reprimanded, it was as if he could force each body to slow their heart beats.

"It's the body trying to conserve energy." Stiles noted, as he scratched his arm in an attempt to simmer his anxiety.

"Our fifth grade science report." Haley whispered, biting her tongue as she saw the monster smirk.

"Hypothermia. Our speech is starting to thicken. Then comes fatigue. Confusion. We're going to die if we don't get out of here." The twins could hear the weight upon each of their tongues, it slurred their words and even reflected toward the monster.

"Stop saying that! Stop saying we." Stiles spat, shaking his head as he thrashed against the restraints.

The pain for both was unbearable.
The constant agony that consisted with each slight movement. The dusty air clinging to each wound viciously.

Haley wanted to tear her foot out of the trap, the anxious ticks too much to handle as she could taste the metallic stench in the air.

"We're just trying to keep you from freezing to death. You both better get up." The mangled man cackled from the darkness, his presence towering over the frightened teens.

They had to make it out alive, they had to for their dad.

"How? There's a freaking steel-jawed trap on my leg!" Stiles yelled, smashing his palm against the metal to vibrate the sound through the room.

Haley groaned once again as she attempted to wretch her ankle out of its grasp, not caring about the repercussions.

"Is there?" The twins froze. Both gazes trailed to the hidden monster, confused and agitated from his notion.

"Notice something different? It was on your right foot before, wasn't it?" The booming voice bounced across the room, forcing the twins to slowly look at the bear traps wearily.

He was right.
How could he be right?

"What is this? What are you doing to us?" Haley thrashed her foot to see if she could break what she could only assume was an illusion.

"We're trying to save you, Haley. We're trying to save both of your lifes."

•••

8.63k!

Dun dun dun!!

^That was a bit cringe^

I really like how you guys responded to the last chapter, it makes me happy that you'd guys were able to like my work. I know it's challenging to read at times.

Shout outs still are linked to last chapter comments:
@Soraya0929
@Riverajoseph952
@Leksybush10
@sarraserra2002
@xBrigit

To receive a shout out, you can comment.

Please vote, comment and add to those lovely reading lists.

Sorry for any mistakes,

Thank you for reading,

Oh! Before you go.
I will be uploading my very first blog soon. The URL is to be decided but I want you to read it!
So far my website will go by the name of: TheVancantThoughtsOfHarrietGrace

It will not be linked to any of my work here, even the poetry linked to this title will not be a major factor at all.

It will be somewhere I can be myself and give advice as well as ask advice.

I want you to be involved! So I will be able to be contacted via the website and the email linked to it. I will explain more when it is posted!

Thank you for reading,

Goodbye X