•seventeen•

Killing fireflies

Haley stayed that night at the McCall residence, Melissa refused for her to go home when in such a state that it would derail Noah Stilinski further

Haley stayed that night at the McCall residence, Melissa refused for her to go home when in such a state that it would derail Noah Stilinski further. But mostly it was because she was worried.

Over the course of the night, Haley revealed what was wrong.
The constant nightmares.
The blackouts.
The hallucinations.
And she couldn't help but compare it to her mother.

The next day Melissa McCall took Haley with her to work, notifying the sheriff that she was safe and needed to run a couple tests to be on the safe side.

She couldn't tell him she thought his daughter would suffer the same fate as his wife. Not when Haley and stiles were the only people he had left.

She lead the twin down the hallway, into room 314 and brought a clipboard to note down the symptoms she had been told the night before. Haley's eyes were as wide as saucers as she glanced around the familiar room.

It was the exact layout as it had been years prior. The sickly white sheets and burning blue chairs. The beeping of machines as they begged to be turned on. It made Haley nauseous.

She sat on the edge of the bed, her thumbs fighting her fidgets as her gaze dropped down to her hands, unable to see the room for much longer.

"Do you trust me, Haley?" Melissa questioned as she slipped open a packet with a needle in her hand. The twins' eyes widened as she noticed the sharp object resting delicate between the nurses fingertips.

"Not so much when your holding that." Haley's finger extends slightly to point to the shining needle, transfixed on it spark. The nurse chuckled slightly, before plunging the needle within the bare skin of Haleys arm.

"What's it going to do?" She whispered as her weight gave way to the bed.

"It's going to help you sleep." Melissa noted, helping the girls body fall. Haley began to fight the drowsiness, her limbs thrashed weakly and her body surged with a limp adrenaline.

"No. I d-I don't want to. Make it stop. Please Mel. Please." Haley begged with shallow breaths, her body becoming too heavy to move. Mellisa sighed as she gently cradled the teens body, brushing the hair away from her face.

"You're a very sleep deprived girl, Haley. You need rest and you need it now." She hummed, slowly tucking the girl in as the drug finally overwhelmed her.

"You don't understand. He's coming, he's coming for us. For stiles." Haley mumbled as her eyes fluttered shut.

Melissa sat bewildered for a moment, confused by the delusional teenager. She knew the one thing she had to do, she needed to check if the same thing was happening to stiles.

*****

A nogistine.

It can take form of anyone, contorting the most innocent minds into one of torture and destruction.

Within it, is concealed a dark spirit- a purgatory where it begins to find weaknesses in its host. It is a parasite. Feeding on destruction until eventually, it can overcome any creature- even the most basic.

The most human.

It was the reason the oni hunted the pack- attacking them one by one until only a handful were left unchecked. The night both Haley and stiles stilinksi ended up checking in to the hospital, the oni attacked.

Fighting was futile. They all knew that. These demons were subjected to find one creature that could destroy everything, and everyone. Fighting back would only make it worse for the pack.

*****

Haley shot upright, feeling uneasy from the amount of sleep she could cling to through a sedative.

She couldn't call it sleep. Instead, it was like drowning in oil- much thicker than water. Each particle stuck to her, as if to pull her further into the abyss of unconsciousness, but instead made her more aware.

She couldn't see, nor hear. But she could feel each blood cell pumping through her veins, each emotion race through her skin.

And when she woke, her mind was blank. She crept out of bed and toward the door, ignoring the sleep still clutching at her skin.

When the door creaked open the last thing she thought she would see was her twin, a few metres down the hallway.

The pair looked at each other blankly, unable to show any type of emotion as they neared each other. They didn't know what they were doing, but their bodies did.

The two moved toward an operating theatre, their movements mechanically symmetrical.

The two were hand in hand as the doors pushed open and they entered, immediately being surrounded by darkness.

They knew to be scared.
But not sure why.

Maybe it was the remembrance of their mothers notorious operations. Or the familiarity of their childhood nightmares.

A sinister swoop crashed behind them as if something had materialised. They turned to see a masked figure, unaware of the packs knowledge of them, smoke the only essence the body had.
Another sound crackled behind them, this time only stiles turned.

Back to back, the twins stared down the two hooded figures in fear, how could they fight something that versatile.

Their eyes shone a yellowish hue as they dove into the twins soul, they were searching for darkness.
And they found something far worse.

Without control of their bodies, the twins hands shot up to grab the hand of the onis. As if by sharing the same mind, the two pulled down their victims wrist symmetrically, their eyes void black.

Haley's hand shot out to her oni, reaching into its stomach and clawing at the fragment she had found within its mist. Stiles had done the same thing to his, both retrieving out with a clutched fist.

A firefly.

Like the ones found in the sacrifices only a few weeks prior. Or the ones that lit up the darkness when there was no other light.

A firefly, was what the twins had tightened within their grasps. The rooms lights flickered before the onis collapsed in front of them, their bodies fading away into the air.

It didn't take long for the injured fireflies to follow and flicker toward the floor.

After all, they had just encountered the nogistune.

•••

6.27k!!

I am going to change how I do my shout outs.
When I started writing I didn't expect as much love as I received, and so to make it special for the small majority who did read my books I would shout them out in case others wanted to increase their following, or just in admiration for my readers.

But the support has become so overwhelming for each of my stories, it's impossible to simply go through my notifications and find every new person.

But I think the shout outs are apart of my pages style, and I want to continue showing my gratitude.

So each chapter will be dedicated to those who had commented on the previous chapter within the time frame between updates.

I hope that's okay.

Shout outs are:
@Mih_araujo
@Soraya0929
@5sosaffff
@xoxQueenGraciexox

Please vote comment and add to those lovely reading lists.

Sorry for any mistakes,

Thank you for reading,

Goodbye X

Saving Haley Grace | Book 2On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara