•thirty eight•

intra mentem

Aiden and Scott both gasped awake and attempted to fling their bodies forward, but to no avail

Aiden and Scott both gasped awake and attempted to fling their bodies forward, but to no avail. Restraints clung to their skin as if it were a blanket, and held their thrashing bodies down.

"Where are we?" Aiden growled as his eyes flashed a calloused blue. His muscles tensed as he tried to alleviate the restraints again, whimpering as it cut his skin raw.

"It must be eichen house." Scott replied quietly, glancing around the dusty room.

The walls were lined in cracks, mold seeping from the edges. It stunk of chlorine, as if bleach had been soaked into the floor to hide the pain embedded into the history of eichen. He hoped the nogitsune had exaggerated how the insanity house looked, how it made them feel. But the boys both knew, the madness behind the gates.

A soft voice cut through the estranged silence in moments, the boys sharing a panicked glance as the familiarity surrounded them.

"No, please let us go." She whispered, her gentle voice seeping through the cracks.

"Don't come any closer." She continued, the tone slightly sharper. The pause between each sentence was deafening, but with each cry the boys strength grew stronger.

"Let me go." She seethed, tears now burning Aidens eyes. The restraints chattered against the bed as they grew more desperate to save the one they loved.

A sharp scream shattered the small barred window behind them, nothing but despair and pain in the tone. Aiden roared, his eyes blaring blue. Tears burned his vision but he continued to rip the restraints glued to his skin.

Slowly, the seams came undone and nothing was left to withhold him from helping. Scott was getting through too, but Aiden was first and it didn't take long for the door to be flung off its hinges.

His strength was fuelled off of bling rage, only one thing stuck in his mind.

To save Haley Grace.

Somehow the door had led him into the hallway of school, the room packed with emotionless students. He spotted Haley on the other side, but he could tell it wasn't her.

Deatons voice sifted through his head, reminding him of why he was there. But he couldn't stop himself, even if it wasn't really her.

It looked like her.

He tried to push past the tidal wave of students crammed into the corridor, but the current of bodies was too compact and suddenly he was being jostled into another direction. The room went silent, but everyone still remained. A conversation began to filter into the stale air, each syllable leaving a stale taste in the air.

"I'm going to tell her." A familiar voice called out into the corridor, a look of determination stuck to his skin.

"It's junior year, I'm not like you stiles. I can't have a ten year plan." Aidens face drained of colour as he watched Scott McCall, or at least a facade of the alpha, psych himself up to talking to his girlfriend.

Aidens gaze shot back to Haley as Scott began to move effortlessly through the crowd; something Aiden somehow couldn't do properly. Anger boiled inside of him, and the train of thought for saving Haley fled in an instant.

Instead it was replaced with testosterone and possessiveness. Scott has nearly reached her when another familiar voice erupted into the air, drowning the numbing noises of the crowd mute.

"Brothers?" Allison Argent asked as she materialised next to the brunette, eyes focused on two people strolling through the crowd. Aiden furrowed his eyebrows, why was this so familiar to him.

"No, twins." Haley's soft voice echoed through the hallway, sending alarms to ring in Aidens ears.

This was a memory.

This was the day Aiden had first seen her, the day where her voice sparked intrigue.
Where he found the one he loved.

But unknown to him, it was the day Scott McCall finally saw Haley fall for someone else. The day his heart shattered; and he had to pretend his world would still turn without the idea of Haley Grace being a bigger part in his life.

•••

36.9k!

Short again, but it's to savour the rest of the book so I hope that's okay.

Shout outs:
@mashaeBenton
@AidenIsMyOxygen
@Void-Aiden
@Soraya0929
@slyther_queen
@ExtremeFoodLover
@CaitlinVictoriaoxo

Please vote, comment and add to those lovely reading lists,

Sorry for any mistakes,

Thank you for reading,

Goodbye X