•forty six•

A new play

"We do this for Allison

"We do this for Allison." Haley announced with as much strength her weak body could give, before pushing the doors wide and marching through. Snow flitted through the sky, caressing the teens skin as they all tumbled through the doors.

Everyone stayed speechless as what once was their school, had turned to a garden. The frost bitten air clawed at Haleys frame like a sharp blanket, and no matter what she did the feeling wouldn't leave.

"Snow?" Was all she could whisper, breaking the timid silence that had risen. Kira glanced around with slight familiarity remembering the stories she would have read to her as a child. And panic to the place of silence, as she realised just how screwed they were.

******

As the group shivered underneath the harrowing snow, the nogitsune, fledged in bandages yet again, emerged from the shadows. Haley gulped as she came face to face with her nightmare once more, her mind flooding in an anger so raw it felt foreign in her body.

"What the hell is this place?" Scott called out, feeling a similar frustration, and shone his eyes the vivid red. The nogitsune laughed, sickened by their naivety, and gave Kira a knowing look.

"Between life and death." it answered, its snarling teeth dowsed in poison. Lydia glanced at her best friend, grabbing her hand in comfort as she whispered the name they had come to despise.

"Bardo."

The nogitsune roared with laughter once again as if the circumstance was riddled with hilarity, and the Oni stepped out from the darkness.

"But there are no peaceful deities here, Lydia." It spoke with as much callous as a murderer, and walked with so much power it was as if it was taking the twins energy with each step.

"You're both dying, Stiles and Haley. Can you feel it yet? The power oozing from your bones like an infection." It snickered, stepping closer to the two shrivelled frames in the centre.

"And now everyone you care about is dying too." the announcement sent a silence that all feared. The silence derived from grief and loss, the sick reminder of who had already been taken.

"What do you mean?" Both Stiles and Haley retorted under fierce glares, as they stood unknowing of their fathers agony.

"I've captured all of the territories of the bored. The hospital... the sheriffs station... and now the animal clinic." Haley growled as she listened to the list of pain this thing had inflicted on all those she loved.

Trying to push away the shrill noise inside her head telling her her dad was dying. Scott got ready to fight, his claws extended and his teeth bared. But haley held up her hand to stop him, knowing ignorance would be how they lose.

"Do you know the ritual of seppuku, Stiles?" The nogitsune asked, its eyes slitting toward the twins as they tried to comprehend the incomprehensible.

"No, and I don't want to." He shot back, his chapped lips pursed. The pack stayed silent as the twins spoke with a demon that had promised to destroy their lives, from fear or trust none knew.

"It's when a samurai disembowels their self with their own sword to maintain their honour, but thats not the cut that kills him." The nogitsune explained anyway, mischief threaded through his frame. Kiras voice hitched as she realised the fault in their plan, glancing down at her katana with hidden disgust.

"The killing stroke is made by their kaishakunin, who beheads the samurai with their own katana. Scott is your kaishakunin." Haley knew that her and her brother were dying, she was not a fool blinded by the obvious. But the idea of Scott being her or her brothers downfall had struck a chord, and the pain seeping into her body had erupted in a fit of rage.

"I'm going to make your best friend kill both of you, and you're going to let him. Because just like you, they're all going to die." The nogitsune bellowed a laugh so deep and dark it felt as if the devil had graced them with its presence. Haley was on the edge of snapping, her irises darkening as she readied to fight for her life.

"Everyone touched by an Oni's blade will die, unless Scott kills you first." Haley could taste the metallic blood pooling on her tongue as she bit down on her lip, trying to stay focused when so blinded by rage.

"Why are you doing this?" She yelled, using Lydia to anchor her self into the frozen floor. The nogitsune took one step closer, a wicked smile embedded into his skin as he whispered.

"To win the game."

____

62.4K