Heaven and the Sea's Creation

My first sprout of consciousness was blissful. 

When I opened my eyes, the first sight I ever saw was the sea. The horizon in the distance was the prettiest sight I had ever seen, a large yellow sun rising into the sky just as I came into the world, and the fluffy clouds floating through the light blue sky. The birds flew over me gracefully, nearly gravitated by my presence. The seafoam held me up as I took it all in, my heart bursting with new promise at the life ahead of me, despite having no clue what or who I came from. 

As I scanned the horizon, I caught sight of the land ahead of me, and I saw four creatures dancing on the white sand. They saw me as soon as I reached land, gasping and giggling with glee. "Oh, I dare say, you're the most beautiful creature I've ever seen and ever will see." The first gracefully approached me. 

 I blush furiously. I have never even caught sight of myself...I am what they call beautiful? "You are stunning yourself. You are the first...beautiful ladies I have ever seen." 

They giggle in unison. "We are the four seasons." They curtsy to me all at once, making my blush even more vibrant.

"Why did you do that?" I whisper out to them. 

"Speak up, beautiful. There's no need to be nervous with looks like yours...and we curtsy, as it would be a terrible sin not to worship a sight like you." The second approaches, slowly caressing a few strands of my light blonde hair. "Now, where did you come from? What do you call yourself?" 

I'm instantly stunned by their question. They call themselves the four seasons...but what would I possibly call myself? All I know is the sea, nothing else! 

"I...I don't know where I come from, nor what I am named." I look down to the ground. "All I remember is rising from the sea, and meeting you."

They gush. "Then, you have the honour of naming yourself, beautiful one. Perhaps after the sea. The sea is where you come from!" They talk among themselves excitingly. "The daughter of the sea! I dare say it's a miracle. A miraculous creation - a heavenly creation!" Their eyes dart back to me after the mention of heaven, their eyes brightening with realization. 

"W-what is it?" I stutter self-consciously. 

"Heaven himself is your creator." The first takes my hands in hers gleefully. "That is the only answer. When Uranus, heaven himself, was killed, parts of him were thrown into the sea! You must be a result of his remaining seed. A creation, beautifully crafted by him and the will of the sea itself!" She spins me in a circle abruptly, quickly causing me to become dizzy. 

"Oh, goodness. That does sound quite...miraculous." I gush to myself quietly. I couldn't conceive being created from such a thing, but it sounded quite magical, and I liked the sounds of it. 

"Yes, yes! And we shall call you after the sea. Hmm...let me see." The third pondered deep in thought. "Or maybe the foam! Aphros for the sea foam!" 

The fourth shook her head, passing by all the rest of the seasons. "No, that's preposterous. She needs more added to that." She grabs both of my hands in the softness of her own hands. She meets my eyes, almost prideful in her own name suggestion. "She shall be called Aphrodite...the Goddess of Beauty...and love, and the union of lovers." She smiles warmly from ear to ear as my own heart warms. 

"I love it." I nod my heart in certainty. "I shall become the Goddess of Beauty and Love, and they shall call me Aphrodite!" 

The seasons chirp their approval. "Now let's get you to Olympus!" 

"Olympus? What is that?" I am immediately uncertain and painfully shy at the thought of going anywhere else in one day. 

"Where you will meet all the Gods, like you. I cannot wait to watch their jaws drop all the way into the Underworld at the sight of you." The seasons giggle more among themselves and quickly lead me up a long, terribly steep path. 

The journey was long, and sullen, except for the giggling among the seasons. They constantly whispered with each other little secrets they didn't want me to hear. Something about my being stark naked and more jaw-dropping jokes, but I ignored them. 

It was time for me to meet my fellow Gods and Goddesses. 

As we approached the golden, extravagant sanctuary the seasons quietened. I began to wobble anxiously on my feet. Will they be like me? Will they like me? 

I could hear laughter and a ruckus of voices throughout the grand building in the heavens. There must be many of them, too many to possibly all drop their jaws or pay much attention to me. 

As soon as we burst through the doors, I saw instantly that I was very wrong. 

Many chairs lined the outside of the building, nearly every single one occupied by either a God or Goddess, all with captivated eyes looking my way. Many froze entirely in what they were doing. One God dropped his trident, crashing to the floor with a loud, startling clang. Some of the Goddesses glared in my direction instantly, hating my presence with a fiery rage. The others, for the most part, were simply stunned, and taking in every inch of me. 

Part of me told myself to cover up, cross my arms in front of my generous chest, and cover up all the areas they so eagerly gazed upon...but another strong, resistant part of me disregarded my worries, and I began to enjoy the attention. My bashfulness briefly left me as I greeted them all: "Hello Gods and Goddesses."
My voice was finally above a whisper, proudly echoing throughout Olympus, causing some to come to their feet.

The God at the front center stood, his footsteps loud as thunder. He was most distinguishable by his magnificent beard and his intense, authoritative gaze. "Who are you, young Goddess?"

The four seasons push me forwards, insisting that I answer.

I shift forward, slight shyness still controlling me. "I am the Goddess of Love and Beauty..." I pause again as he impatiently waits. "...And my name is Aphrodite, and I am the child of the sea."

The Love of Aphrodite - Book 1 जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें