Chapter 3

Chapter 3

After feeding the twins and all of the other babies I go get ready for my first day of school. In every school it’s the same. The kids in high school seem to be scared of me in every school. I guess it’s because I am a shadow lurker.

 I look into my closet and see only a few things. A pair of really black and old , but trustable converse, a pair of really black jeans, an old black and white shirt, and a black hoodie. Too much black? Hey it’s all I got. The dark clothes help me blend into the shadows so no one really sees me. If someone does see me they think I am emo or something.

 I take a quick shower and put on my clothes. I put on some perfume I invented with the leftover perfumes I find in the other girls rooms. It smells like lilac with a hint of pomegranate. Well I am ready I think.

- Elizabeth I need you to do Tate’s hair-says Nana. I think Nana may be the one who’s been the worst to me. Mother tells her to do something and Nana then orders me to do her work. –Elizabeth-!

 Hugh! This family drives me crazy. I go downstairs to go do Tate’s hair. I walk into the living room to see it’s in total chaos.

Shoes are flying, curling irons are being used as weapons and in the center of it all is Nana having a catfight with Harriet. –Why didn’t you make my coffee- *slap! Why didn’t you do it yourself slap* punch! It’s time for me to step in, but just before I do I see the cause of the entire ruckus.

 The twins! I concentrate and step into the shadow behind the cabinet. The shadow paths are very dangerous if you don’t know how to do it correctly. The shadow paths are completely dark except for your destination. A normal human being if not concentrated will easily get lost causing him/her to lose balance and float endlessly in darkness. Shadow Lurkers don’t ever get lost, but shadow traveling can get addicting.

 I see the twins on one of the paths and grab them and put each one a hip.-What are you to doing here-? They just giggle and laugh.-What am I going to do with you two-I say. Again they just giggle and laugh. I get out the shadow paths and set the twins down on the couch. The fights and arguments have gone, but Tate is still not groomed.

 After I finish his hair and put him and the twins in the van to go to preschool, I hop on my Harley which I am proud to say is mine. Though I found it in the shadow paths. Finding things in the shadow paths is common but my bike sure is a treasure.

 I have to hide so mother won’t find it and sell it. I hop on my bike and put on my helmet. All my nerves and doubt slowly fades away. I feel like I am flying. Hopefully high school won’t be that bad. 

  (Flashback)                                                                                                                                                               -Its ok Elizabeth, Mr. and Mrs. Blackington will take good care of you as your new parents-. –But I want my mommy and daddy and the shadow monsters-! –See what we mean, we hope that you won’t have a problem breaking her-. –No problem, what is she again-?-Not human is all we know-.                                                                                                                                                                           (End of Flashback)   

I see the school come up at the end of the street. I slow down my bike and go behind the school

and see what I am looking for. The teacher’s parking lot. I park my bike under a big tree and make my way towards the building. I open a door and walk inside. A pair of ten eyes looks back at me. I think I just found the teachers lounge.

 –Um where’s the principal’s office-? One of the teachers recovers from the shock and says-down the hall sixth door to your left-.-Thank you-I say and as I leave I hear one say-first time I hear a student say thank you-.

I decide to shadow travel and since I am not that concentrated everywhere is lite up. I see a couple kids passing cheat notes to each other and I also see a couple having a make out session. I don’t know why, but that bothered me a lot though I couldn’t tear my eyes away from the awful sight. The male suddenly looks my way.

I gasp. I have never seen eyes like his. They are green with golden specks in them. His dark hair reminds me of the hair of a guy I once saw in teen wolf. However this guy wears it much better.

 I can see through that he has a six-pack and that his arms have the right amount of muscle. The girl he is with asks him what is wrong, but I don’t stick around to hear his answer. Seeing him with that girl annoys me.

 Why? I don’t know. I walk around in the shadow paths a little bit more before I finally get the feel of the school. The cafeteria is big, but won’t be eating there. If I eat there people are bound to come and talk to me and really don’t want that.

 The library is also big and comfy the classrooms are spacious enough and the courtyard is very big too. Everything here seems big. I make my way to the principal’s office. I knock on his door and a –come in- calls out. I open the door to see a very small office. Everything is untidy and messy.-I am the new girl, Elizabeth Blackington-.-Oh Elizabeth come in, come in and sit down-. I do as he ask and he starts telling all my classes hands me a schedule, and tells me it’s going to be a great year for me.

 Yeah right. –Elizabeth don’t be a stranger and come in whenever you feel like talking. I smile at him and close the door. Never before had someone wanted me to actually talk to them! Maybe I will. I walk to class without using the shadows and see it at the end of another hall.

It’s Geology and hopefully the teacher knows what she is talking about cause I have been almost everywhere. As soon as I enter the teacher looks up from her work and looks up.-Hi I am a new student here-I tell her.-Come in sit down, you look like a person who ready to learn-! –Well I have been to a lot of places and Geology is my favorite subject- -really well I am Mrs. Oliva, have you been to India-?

 For like an hour me the teacher talk and it turns out she’s been to many places too. After a while she says she has to go to the front office to get some papers for me and leaves. I go to the back of the classroom and sit in the corner where almost no light touches.

This is the best place to hide in the shadows and with my advanced hearing I can hear the lesson. The door opens again in comes a tall boy I can’t see his face because its covered by the hoodie he wears. He comes over and sit in the space right next to me! That’s when I remember that I am like half way in the shadows.

 I get out of the shadows and quietly lay my head on the desk. I turn over silently and take a peek at him. He’s staring at me! I squeak and fall out of my chair. A deep dark laugh erupts from him and I just growl.-Why are you laughing at me-? He stops laughing to answer me-well first of all squeaked like a baby and fell out of your chair-

 -I did not squeak and even if I did it would be a squeak of a grown woman-! He starts laughing again and this time so hard he stars choking. This time I start laughing.

The teacher comes in at that exact moment. I am pretty sure she saw a girl laughing crazily and a boy choking on his on laugh. The teacher herself starts to laugh! She stops laughing long enough to say

 –I can see that you’ve got Jason warming up to you as well-.

 Then she starts laughing again. All of us finally catch our breath once the bell rings . Mrs. Oliva goes back to doing her work and I lay my head on the desk again. But this time I am not so shy and openly stare at Jason. His position mirrors mine. –I am Elizabeth, but you can call me Lizzy-,-I am Jason ,but you can call me Jace-. I have a feeling me and Jace are going to be the best of friends.