Chapter 6

Kevin

Kevin

 Man, what happened last night? 

 I woke up to the biggest headache ever this morning, I don't remember when was the last time I drink-ed so much. As I rolled over to the other side of the bed something smelled different. I smelled the pillows it had a scent of green apples with a hint of cinnamon, it smelled so good. Knowing this isn't my sent I tried to think about what happened last night. 

 Did I invite a girl over? I can't remember that last time I had another woman in the same bed as me. And not in any bed but the bed that I and Kaley once shared.

 "Please just stay" 

Slowly getting out of bed flashed of what happened last night came to my mind.

 "Be Max's mom" I jumped causing my head to hurt even more.

 "Oh no" I said touching my head "Please don't tell me I said that" Looking around for my phone I found it on my dresser surprised no one called or even text me. Pressing the button to see the time, the screen didn't pop up. Pressing it at least 3 times I realized that my phone was off.

 "Who the fuck turned off my phone?" I said turning it back on to find out I had 10 missed important calls. Walking out of my room and running downstairs I smelled pancakes and eggs which it wired because no one ever uses the kitchen.

 "Who the hell turned off my phone?" I yelled into the kitchen stopping all laughter. I found the clown and Max sitting at the table together with smiles on there faces. Once they turn and saw my face I saw Max bent his head down and stared at his plate.

 "Oh, Morning," the clown said getting up from the table and walking towards me with a mug and pills in the other.

 "What are you doing here?" I asked confused. Taking the coffee gosh I needed that--wait this isn't coffee. 

 "What is this?" I said sitting it back into the cup.

 "It's tea," she said handing me the pills "Coffee isn't all good for you" she simply answered walking over to the stove.

 Taking the pills I followed her "Ok, but that still doesn't answer my first question" 

 Taking a deep breath she answered "I did" turning around with a plate of breakfast she walks tot eh table where Max his sitting, he still hasn't touch his food since I came down here.

 "Max, please eat so I can take you to school," she says patting his head, Max smiles and starts to eat again. Taking my sit she sets the plate in front of me, my stomach starts to make noises by the smell.

 I here a small giggle to find out it's from Max that's a first. I pick up a fork and take a bit out of my eggs and I smile.

 "Where did you learn how to make this?" I asked taking more, bigger bits. The clown pours me a glass of orange juice and I happily take it.

  "I have to survive too don't I?" she says with a laugh. It gets quiet, but it's a nice quite this is the first time Max and I had breakfast together.

 "I didn't we know had the stuff to make this," I said eating my toast.

 She laughed "You don't, I had to wake up early and go to the store and buy all of this," she said pointing at our plates.

 "Which makes me wonder, what do you guys even eat? there's nothing in this house"

 "Well, Max's school gives breakfast and lunch," I said wiping my mouth.

"Yeah, that's every school. What about dinner or when there isn't any school?" I didn't answer, because I never really thought about it. I work every day so I didn't think about when Max will be home alone on the weekends, I mean we have a maid that comes sometimes out of the week I'm sure she cooks for him. But on the days she doesn't come Frank sometimes buys take out and I leave it out for him.

 "Are you kidding me?" she yelled, "You know what--" getting up and walking back towards the stove she comes back with another plate, I start to lick my lips but when I see her give the rest to Max I'm disappointed.

 "Don't worry Max I'll be the one taking care of you" she said giving him a kiss on the forehead. Max jumps and looked up at her and I swear I never saw him look at someone that way before. It makes me wish Kaley was here to see this. Max smiles and begins to eat again.

 "So, I take it's a yes?"

 "Hell ya!" she yells. Getting up I say "Hurry up Max, Frank will be here any minute"

 "There's on need, just get me a car and I'll take him" Looking up to meet her eyes.

 "It's ok that's frank's Job" I said turning around.

 "Well tell him to take you to work, or take a day off because for now on I'll be taking him to and from where he needs to go" I heard footsteps and felt her right behind me, she whispered into my ear "This what you asked for, right? heads up a lot of changes are about to happen"

 Taking a deep breath I  said "The cars are in the garage, and the keys are on the wall" I was about to walk away until she came in front of me.

 "Yes?" I said running my hands through my hair, I'm already late for work.

 "I also need money, because if I'm going to 'play mom' I also will need to buy things to take care of him" she said holding out. Letting out a sigh I reach into my back pocket and take out my wallet handing her my black card.

 "Only for Max" I said pulling it back when she went to reach for it.

 "Yes, Max only" she replies.