Chapter 37

Jackie

Max was in the middle of setting the table while I was preparing dinner when I heard the front door open.

 "Your late" I yell out knowing it is Kevin walking in.

 "Do you have room for one more" He calls out walking into the kitchen. I turn around to see an old man who I've never seen before behind him. He has gray hair and is wearing a black coat with a black cane. He keeps looking around the house and looks uncomfortable.

 "Okay I'll tell Max to add an extra plate" I answer unsure of the situation. Kevin gives me a smile and then turns around to save the old man.

 "This way sir" he says guide him to the dining room.

 "This is going to be so awkward" I whisper to myself making an extra plate.

After the table set and dinner is done, we all set at the dining table.  On the left side, Max and I sat next to each other while on the other side Kevin and the old man seat next each to each other. There is an awkward silence in the air. I keep looking at Kevin and the old men while Max just stares at everyone.

 "Alright, I think we should say grace before the food gets cold" I said sticking out my hands towards Max and the old man.

 "I wanna say grace" Max says happily.

"Lord, we ask you to bless the food that Dory has made and to bless my daddy and Dory. Bless sugar mama and grandpa, bless my uncles and aunt Esther." he pauses for a moment "Oh and bless my mommy and the old guest daddy has brought to eat with us.  Amen" 

"Amen," Kevin and I say. I look up at Kevin and he isn't making any contact with anyone.

 "Let's eat" I say fixing Max a plate.  As we eat Max starts to tell his dad all the things that happened at school. Max is also thinking to join the little league team at school. I knew it was only in a matter of time he would want to join a baseball team. Max is so busy talking while eating at the same time he starts to make a mess around him.

 "Max one at a time" I say. "Finish chew your food and then talk" I take a napkin and wipe his mouth and shirt. He smiles at me as his way of saying sorry.

 "What is your name?" For the first time since he got here, the old man speaks to me.

 "Oh, I'm sorry. My name is Jackie nice to meet you" I say sticking out my hand. He doesn't say anything and goes back to eating. I slowly put my hand down and look at Kevin. He smiles at me a small smile and continues to eat. I let out a breath and go back to eating. When dinner is over, I start to clean up while Max plays with the guest. I watch as Max makes an effort to play with the old man, but he doesn't respond to Max and keeps looking at the pictures across the wall. I feel arms wrap around my waist.