Chapter 47

Jackie

Today is a Saturday and Max doesn't have school, so I let him sleep in today. Kevin isn't supposed to work on the weekends but lately, he has been working every day. I don't know if he's doing it to avoid me for half of the day or work really has gotten that busy. I feel like Kevin and I have taken a huge step back in our relationship. It's not that I don't trust him. Just the thought that I am going to lose them scares me and I want to try my best to spend as much time as possible I can with them.

 My family keeps bugging me to tell him. They don't understand why I hold off from telling Kevin. My sister believes that Kevin will accept everything and still love me, but---but....

"Dory we are next" Max said. I was taken out of my thoughts when I realized it was our turn to check out. Max and I are at the supermarket buying groceries.  Once we were done paying for everything we walked back to the car. 

"Max" I said as I helped him into his seat.

"Do you want to go for a walk?" asked. "We go to the Hudson River?"

 "I never been there before," He says with a smile. I take that as a yes and get into the car.

**********************************************************************

"Wow" Max says once we reach the river. We were standing on the bridge looking over at the Empire State and the Hudson River.

 "Yeah I love to come here anytime I want clear my head or to think" I say leaning on the bridge.

 "What do you think about?" He says looking up at me.

 "Umm...I think about you" I said messing up his hair. "I think about Suga mama, my sisters and brothers--"

 "And daddy?"

 "And daddy" I say with a whisper.  Look up at out to the river.

 "Are you mad at him?" I look down at Max's surprise.

 "Why would you say that?"

 "Because I heard you guys yelling yesterday. And dad isn't home like he used too" He says with a sad face.

"Oh Max" I bend down to pick him up into my arms.

 "Your not going to leave me right?" He says with watery eyes. 

 "Max I--"

 "We're supposed to be a family remember," he says now with tears in his eyes.

 "Max we are a family. And I will always be with you just like how your mom is always with you" I say wiping his tears. "There come a time when I can't psychically be here with you, but my heart is always with you" I say kissing him on the cheek. "I will always be by your side. I love you Max" I wrap my arms around him and squeeze him into a tight hug. Max slowly puts his arms around me.

 "I love you too Dory" He says with tears still falling from his eyes. I pat his back to try to calm him down. I rock his body in my arms and wait for him to stop crying. Once he calmed down I started to walk along the bridge. 

 "Do you want to hear a story, Nemo?"

 "Yes" He whispers. 

"Once an upon a time there is a lonely prince. He could have anything he could ever wanted in the world. But there was something he always wanted and no matter how hard he tried he could never get"

 "What was that?" Max said.

 "A mother. The prince always wanted a mother.  He never knew or seen his mother and his father would never tell him no matter how many times he begged. One day it was the prince's birthday. And he wasn't happy. Although his friends and family were enjoying the party the prince was not happy. To put a smile on his son's face the King invited a beautiful fairy. When the prince saw the fairy he was afraid. But once the fairy smiled his hollow heart became full. For the first time, he smiled. He spent the whole party playing and laughing with the fairy. Sadly the party was coming to an end and the fairy had to go. But the prince didn't want her to leave. He begged her to stay and live with him and his father. The fairy was so happy. She loved the prince and the king and she wanted to stay with them. But she couldn't. The fairy couldn't stay with them so long because there was an evil witch who was jealous of their relationship and wanted them to be apart. So in order to save the people she loved the fairy had to leave the prince and the king."

 "So what happens to the prince? what about his new mommy?" Max says lifting his head to face me.

 "Well that's up to king and fairy" I answered.

 "So they have to fight the witch?" Max said confused.

 "Well hopefully there love can be enough to defeat the witch" I said with a sigh.

"But shouldn't the prince help too? there a family right?"

 "Right. The prince should look after his father because he is now going to be lonely. The prince has to step up and help his father who is now hurting" After we walk around the river Max and I went home to make dinner. We made pasta with shrimp, chicken, a creamy sauce. As we started to set the table Kevin came home.

"Daddy" Max ran to greet him.

 "Hey buddy," He says picking him up. He walks into the dining room with Max at his hip. 

 "Smells good in here" He says taking a seat and sitting Max on his lap.

 "Dory and I made it together," Max says with a smile.

"Good job" He says kissing him on the forehead. I fix a plate for Max and Kevin before I take a seat and fix myself a plate.

 "This is delicious" Kevin eyes with his mouth full.

 "Really do you like it?" Max said looking up at Kevin with a smile.

 "This is now my new favorite dish" Kevin his with a smile. He looks over at me for the first time and says "This is really good"

 "Thanks" I say with a smile. We all get back to enjoying our dinner. Max tells Kevin about his day and what we did.  After dinner, we went to the living room to watch a movie. As we are watching I notice Kevin his getting paler then he was before he left his morning. After what happened last night I have been dying to know what the hell is going on with him. I know he his sick. And it breaks my heart to know that when I leave his health may also be a danger. 

I don't want to be an extra burden on his plate.