Chapter 46

Kevin

"So Mr. Powers if you take these pills they should help reduce the coughing, but I can't promise that the coughing will stop. With all these testing I suggest you take it easy and start working less. It's making your condition worse if you overwork yourself" The doctor said as he gave me a bag with the medicine inside.

 "I can't. I have so much to do if I want to make sure Max and Jackie have a good future" I reply.

"And I understand that Mr. Powers, but you should also take the time you still have with them now"

 "Once I find a match I will have all the time in the world" I say as I make my way to leave his office "Thanks doc I'll see you later" I closed the door behind me and make my way out of the office.  I walk out to the warmth of the sun. Winter is now over and the weather has started to become warm-up. 

It's been a few days and Jackie still hasn't open to me yet. And I can't say that doesn't worry me. It's almost been a month and she hasn't shown any signs of opening up to me any time soon. I am running out of time and I want to make sure if something were to happen to me I want Max to be taken care of.  I got into my car drove to Kaley's parents' home. I know I might be imposing on them, but after today I felt I just had to visit them just one more time.

 I knocked on the door and Kaley's dad answered.

 "Kevin?" I said confused when he opened the door.

 "Hello sir, I know this is sudden. I just thought I drop by and say hi" I said with a smile.

 "Sure come in" I walk into the home that brought back so many memories.

 "Where's  Mrs. Walker?" I ask once I take a sit in the living room.

 "She's sleeping now. Since December her health has been weak" He answers with a sad face.

 "I'm sorry I haven't been visiting as often" 

 "Don't worry about it we understand you would very busy. Especially with the government trying to force your company into helping them" I roll my eyes at the thought. It has been all over the news that the government wants my companies to help in not only providing weapons but to us give them accuse to people who they think are terrorist phones to find information on them.

I brush my fingers threw my hair and let out a sigh "Yeah, the whole thing is so annoying"  After a few moments of silence I say "Is there anything I could do for you guys? anything you need?"

Mr. Walker smiles "Being able to see Max is enough for us" He moves closer and touches my hand "Kevin live your life. My daughter will always be with you and I know she would be happy to see how well your doing with Max. So go live your life. You spent so many years in regret and grief it's ok to be happy" He says with a smile. I don't know why but just hearing him say those words felt like a huge burden has been lifted off his shoulders. I felt my eyes starting to water and Mr. Walker pulled me into a hug.

 "I don't want you to feel like you owe us anything," He says as I cry on his shoulder.  

After my visit, I went back home. I came home to see Max and Jackie setting up the dinner table. I smiled and greeted them. After dinner, we all got ready for bed. As I was in the bathroom getting ready for bed Jackie came in standing by the door.

 "You have been working a lot lately," She says as she watches me brush my teeth.

 "Yeah, and with the whole ISIS thing, we have gotten a lot busier," I say.

 "Have you thought about what your company is going to do?" She asks.

 "What do you think I should do?"

 "I think your first priority should be your users because isn't that what your company is catering too?" I stop brushing my teeth and let her words sink in. Suddenly I got another cough attack.

 "Kevin!" I take out my toothbrush and spit into the sink. I see blood and quickly turn on the water trying to wash away the blood coming out of my mouth. But it's too late Jackie already saw.

 "What the hell Kevin. I'll go call--"

 "No!" I yelled trying to catch my breath as more coughs came. I wiped my mouth and open one of the cabinets taking out my medicine. 

"Kevin, what's that?" Jackie walked into the bathroom and stood next to me. I popped the pills into my mouth and swallowed. Making sure to show my back to her so she wouldn't see the pills once I saw done I walked out of the bathroom.

 "Kevin told me what's going? I know I saw blood" She said following me out the bathroom.

 When I didn't answer she stepped in front of me. "Kevin"

 I let out a sigh "Listen when your ready to talk I'll talk" I said moving around her and making my way to the bed.

 "So it's like that?"

 "You started it"

 "I am trying to protect you" She yelled. I rolled my eyes and walked up to her.

 "From what? did you forget we were supposed to be a team? What's your pain is my pain what's my problem is your problem. I don't understand why you still don't trust me" I said looking into her eyes.

 "I do trust you Kevin--" She tried to reach out to me and I pushed her away.

 "No. No you don't" I said taking a step back.

 "And--I don't think I can trust you. I want too but your making is very hard Jackie. I hate how it seems like everyone knows what's going on but me. Hell even Mr. Drake---" I touched my chest. My heart started to hurt.

 "Kevin" Jackie came to my side "Kevin please let me help you" She said with watery eyes. I shook my head "I'm fine" I said once the pain pasted. 

"Although I can't trust you that doesn't mean I don't love you" I looked down at to her and touched the side of her cheeks that were now wet with tears.

 "Can't my love for you be enough" I whispered. Jackie closed her eyes and leaned into my touch. 

"But what if it causes you to lose your love for me?" she whispers back,

 "Than that means you don't truly believe in my love for you" I say pulling away.

 "I'll still wait if that's what you want, but don't expect me to show my cards before you" I walked back to the bed and got ready for bed.