Chapter 44

Kevin

"Mr. Powers you have a weak heart. It looks like from the bullet it did some major damage"

 "But I thought you said the surgery went well?" I said looking up in shock.

 "Yes it did but your heart is weak. The bullet hit the right artery of your heart making it hard to pump blood to the left artery and go to the rest of your body. Do you often find it hard to breathe?"

 "Yes" I say with a sigh.

 "Cheat pains?"

 "So what are you saying?"

 " You need a heart transplant. That's the only way" I closed my eyes for a moment and saw Max and Jackie flash through my mind. 

 "So how long?" I whispered.

 "5 months"

"Okay. And how soon can we make this happen?"

After my meeting with the doctor, I realize there is no point to be fighting with Jackie. I trust she will tell me on her own time. Ever since that day I have been giving her the old shoulder. But after today fuck it I should be making most of the moments I have with them. 

A few days have past and I have been coming home a lot lately. After work, I go meet the doctor and he does tests on me to help see who would be most compatible with me. When I get home I feel worse than when I left for work, but I can't let Max or Jackie notice. I don't want to worry them and I know Jackie will totally trip. Also, I don't know for sure if they will find a match or if the surgery will be a success. If today is my last I want to be in control and spend it with the people I love. 

"I'm home," I say when I lock the door behind me.

 I walk into the living room to see Jackie helping Max with his homework.