Chapter 39

Jackie

"Were here" I woke up to the sound of Kevin's voice. I took off my seatbelt and strength out my arms. Kevin reach over and wiped the drool from my lips "I'll wake up Max" he says taking off his seatbelt and getting out of the car. I rubbed my eyes and looked around. 

 "It's much colder here" I say opening the car door and getting out of the car. I turn to see Kevin at my side with Max in his arms. He hasn't fully woken up yet. I touch the side of his face too much sure he isn't freezing and pull up the hoodie of his jacket.

 "When was the last time you came here?" I asked as we make our way towards the house.

 "The funeral," he says as he knocks on the door. 

 A few seconds later the door opens and Kaley's father opens the door.

 "Thank you for coming" He says.

 "No problem," Kevin says. He moves out of the way to let us. At first, I didn't want to tag along with Kevin because I felt this was a private family matter, but he told me it will mean a lot to him and Max if I came. I could tell the house is pretty old and has been around for a while. He leads to the living room and has us take a seat.

 "I'll bring her down" He says and leaves. I look around the room to see pictures of Kaley everywhere. Starting from birth and until she was older. I could see dance was really her passion. There are medals and trophies everywhere.

 "She was really a star" I say trying to fill in the silence.  

 "Yeah" Kevin yes with a smile. We hear footsteps coming down and look up to see Kaley's mother. We both quickly stand up.

 "Oh there's no need for that seat down, please. And welcome" She says with a warm smile. Max's grandpa helps her take a seat across from us.

 "Wow, he looks just like her" She says staring at Max asleep in Kevin's arms.

 "Can I hold him?" She asks. Kevin I both look towards each other. Kevin get us and hands Max to her. She smiles and slowly brushes his face. 

 "She gave birth to a beautiful baby"

 "Mrs. Walker I am so sorry" I look over to see Kevin down on his knees bowing down in front of Kaley's parents.

 "I am so sorry, if I could----"

 "Stop it, Kevin. What's done is done. She lived a good life although it was taken so fast. You raised a beautiful son and you did all you could do. What more can I ask for?" She says still looking down at Max.