Chapter Twenty-Eight.

Scott:

My siblings, my father, and I circled around Jamie. He was having a hard time keeping himself up, but he managed and looked around. My family looked up at the sky to see the moon was about to land right over him.

My dad twirled the scissors around his index finger as he walked over to Jamie. “I have been waiting to cut your damn hair for so long now.” he said, about to grab Jamie to start cutting his hair.

Jamie hopped away. “Wait—wait! Dad, please, this is my hair! You can’t cut it off. I ch-change my mi-mind! I don’t care if it’s hard to run, I need my hair!” he said, walking backwards.

“Jamie, you’re getting a haircut whether you like it or not—Tristan, hold him!” he ordered when Jamie bumped into Tristan and Tristan wrapped one arm around his arms and waist. He held Jamie face still as my dad started cutting away.

The whole time Jamie was cursing, but my dad paid him no mind.

I was chuckling with my brothers, finding this really funny. We all had that skater type of hair back when we were thirteen, but our father cut our hair off. Not because he didn’t like it—and believe me, he hated our hair—but because if we shift with long hair, it’ll be so hard to run and our body heat will be hotter than it already is.

After a few moments, my dad stepped back and Jamie looked so different. My dad ran his hand threw Jamie's hair and chuckled. “Don’t worry, it looks so good, son. We’ll fix it later.” he said, patting Jamie cheek who huffed out his nose.

“Dad that was my hair! Now everybody going to be staring at me—argh!” Jamie doubled over in pain and Tristan let go of him. He fell down on his knees and held his stomach. We all watched his spine appear above his back, growing and shifting pretty quickly.

My mom placed her hand over her mouth and looked away. She always hated the first transformation since everything in your body is practically changing and it’s a painful process. She didn’t like watching her ‘babies’ in pain.

My dad helped Jamie over to the middle of the circle and he went back in his place. Jamie back spine made a snapping sound and I heard a gasp coming from behind me. I turned my head to look at an eye wide Abigail as she watched Jamie. She looked concerned and worried.

“He’s going to be fine.” I told her and her head snapped to me.

“But that looks really painful.” she said.

“Oh believe me, it is.” I said, remember the pain as if it just happened to me again. Shifting is like a women childbirth. Difficult and agonizing. Thankfully it’s quick.

Jamie spine snapped back down in his body and he went on his back, panting. Eyes closed. Sweating. Right now he would feel as if he has a cold and his body temperature was changing, quickly rising.

His face turned to pain again as it rose and he actually started weeping. It hurts—burns. It feels as if you’re on fire. Jamie was scratching and hitting at his skin as if he was burning. To him, he is.