Chapter Two.

Chapter Two

Abigail:

We walked into a very average looking high school office. The carpet was gray and the walls were white. A middle aged looking woman wearing a purple outfit and her gray hair in a bun was at the counter. She seemed to be doing paperwork. My dad cleared his throat loudly and she looked up.

Her pale gray eyes saw me and she said, “Oh, this must be Abigail! Welcome to our school!” she paused and then looked to my dad. “And you must be her father. Ah, yes, you’ll need to sign her in.”

She grabbed a clipboard and my dad walked up to the desk and signed me in. She then turned to me and handed me a slip of paper.

“This is your schedule, sweetie. I hope you like it here.” I smiled at her and looked over my schedule. My dad grabbed me roughly by the arm and led me outside.

“You know the rules. No talking to anyone; you don’t have time to make friends. No boyfriends. No clubs. Just keep your mouth shut unless you’re asked a question in class,” he whispered in my ear.

I nodded, “Yes, daddy.”

“Good,” he said. He sighed heavily then said, “I won’t be able to pick you up since this new job doesn’t have breaks when I want, so you’ll have to walk home. Get that laundry done when you get home. Got it?” he asked.

Again, I nodded, “Yes, daddy.”

“Good,” he said and let go of me. “Get straight to class after you go to your locker.”

I nodded and watched him head down to his car and drive away. I sighed, and, using the map of the school on the back of my schedule, I made my way to the sophomore lockers. I kept my eyes glued to the map so as not to make eye contact with the many curious eyes following me. It took me a while to find my locker, but when I found it, I was relieved to find it near the end of the hallway. I don’t know why, but I always like my locker at the end of the hall.

Fewer people are at the end. I put my locker code in the spinner and opened my locker. I took my binder out of my back pack and shoved it in. I shrugged my jacket off and placed it on the hook. These lockers either all had a mirror in them or the last person to have this one left one in it because low and behold there I saw my reflection. I fixed the white button shirt and scrunched my nose up. It reminded me so much of a uniform shirt, but it’s all I could get.

I mostly shop at thrift stores since my dad works in an office and doesn’t make that much money. And my mom sure as hell doesn’t work. Dad only gives me little money, so I can’t go to places like Aeropostale or Hollister. I look like the poor girl I am. I frowned, grabbed my binder, and slammed my locker shut not wanting to see my reflection. I held my binder to my side as I brought my schedule up to look for the room I needed to go to. I felt people look at me as I walked, but I ignored them.

I could feel the gazes analyzing my body and my outfit. Most, from what I could tell, were from the snobby people, but I could really care less. I have way more important problems to worry about than what they think. While wrapped up in my own little world of hate I wasn't paying attention and I bumped into someone. I dropped my binder in the process. I quickly bent down and picked it up. I then gave an apologetic look to the blond haired girl with glasses and continued on my way.