Chapter Three.

Chapter Three

Abigail

I looked around the lunch room where you pick up food. No one cared enough to watch me. Most were too busy hanging out with their friends and/or texting on their phones. I did a double check before I reached out and grabbed an orange, slipping it in the pocket of my jacket. I didn’t have money for lunch and I was hungry again. I walked out of the lunch room and into the cafeteria. I kept my head down again and made my way toward the back of the café where not a lot of people were. I sat down alone at a table and took out the orange. I grabbed a napkin that was on the table and laid it out, beginning to peel the orange.

*

Scott

“One more time,” I told Shay and he groaned. “Come on, I need to do this right.”

“Fine, whatever,” he said, holding the scene up from my phone. I started doing the hand signs I learned from an app. I found one on my phone for sign language. I was just doing basic ones like ‘How are you’; ‘What is your name’; ‘Do you like Kings High’.

After I was done, I dropped my hand, “Well?”

“Like before, bro, you got it all,” he said, putting my phone down. Victoria, Shay's mate, came up to the seat next to him and he kissed her.

She smiled before turning to me, “Shay told me the exciting news, Scott. Now the question is: where is she?” she asked as she looked around the café. “I can’t wait to meet her.” Around the table my brothers and their girls chuckled.

“Calm down, Victoria,” Shay said. “There’s a little problem.”

I snapped my head up from the phone and growled, “There’s no problem, Shay. Just because she’s deaf doesn’t mean there's a problem.”

Victoria eyes widened, “What? She’s deaf?”

I shrugged, “Yeah, so?”

“She’s still amazing,” Colleen said to add onto my point. “A little shy, yes, but she’s amazing and nice. She can read lips perfectly.”

“Must be an expert for how fast you talk,” Skylar said, chuckling and getting slapped by Shay making Colleen giggle.

Tristan brought his foot up and pushed Skylar’s seat back. “Shut up, man. I’d rather have her talking than not at all—oh crap,” he said, looking at me apologetically. I just rolled my eyes. I’ll deal with them later. I looked around the café to find my little mate and I found her in the back. She was peeling at an orange, watching closely as she peeled to get a lot of the skin off.

I got up from my chair. “Wish me luck.” They all were smartasses and sarcastically wished me luck. I pursed my lips and scowled at them before I walked over to Abigail. She didn’t feel me coming, not taking her eyes off the orange. Actually, I don’t even think she was paying attention to the orange because her eyes looked kind of…blank.