Chapter Nine.

Chapter Nine

Abigail

I had my arms crossed across my chest and my hood of my jacket up. Colleen must’ve seen me from behind cause she was calling my name from behind down the hall, trying to keep up with me.

I felt her hand go around my arm and she stopped me. “Hey, didn’t you hear me call your name?” she asked. She slid her glasses up the bridge of her nose. “I was calling you for the last minute.”

I walked around her and I felt her gaze on my back for a second, but she ran back up next to me “Hey, did I do something wrong?” she asked.

I just shook my head and took the note out I made for her, mentioning that I think it was nice and sweet of her to want to be my friend, but I just don’t want to. I explained to her I like to be a loner and be by myself. I held it out to her and she hesitated, but took it.

I continued on my way as she read, but damn, she was a fast reading because I didn’t even get a dozen steps away before she caught back up to me by the time I went around the corner to another hallway.

“Wait, Abigail, come on,” she said. I just kept my gaze forward, hoping she’ll find me mean and annoying, and want to leave me alone now. I started to walk faster and she looked like she was having a hard time keeping up as she said, “Look, act like a bitch right now if you want. But soon, we’ll be the best of friends ‘cause of Scott.”

My head snapped to look at her confused, my eyebrows together in confusion. What the hell does that mean?

“Can you slow down?” she asked a few steps behind me.“Damn, did you run track at your last school or something?”

No, just had to run from my dad sometimes before my brother came along, I thought.

We walked out of the school building where people were getting on buses, cars, or walking home. I felt someone’s gaze and I turned my head to see Scott looking my way as he leaned against the Jeep.

“Ahh--Ow!” I heard Colleen behind me and my head snapped to the side to see she had fallen and was holding her ankle.

My eyes widened, realizing she got hurt because of me. I bent down in front of her and before I could hold my tongue, I whispered, “Are you alright?”

“Yeah, I’m—” she cut herself off when she realized I talked. Both our eyes were wide open. Oh god, I can’t believe I just spoke to her! Oh god, this ruins everything now. I’m in deep shit now. “You…you just talked,” she forced the words out.

“Colleen!” I heard Tristan’s voice behind me. I turned my head to see how far he was and he was running over.

I turned my head back around in a panic. “Please, I beg you, don’t tell them. Colleen, please, keep it a secret.”